Turface cloudiness? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Turface cloudiness?

Hi, I just set up my 46 gallon bowfront with Turface pro league red (more brown really), the only stuff I could get around here. I rinsed it a lot but the tank is still pretty cloudy--can barely see to the wall behind the tank. This was about 3-4 hours ago. Will it always be cloudy whenever I move stuff around, and is there anything that I can do to help with the cloudiness. I have three filters running on it now. Presumably this is bad for the fish, they aren't in there right now
Thanks
Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:24 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhite View Post
Hi, I just set up my 46 gallon bowfront with Turface pro league red (more brown really), the only stuff I could get around here. I rinsed it a lot but the tank is still pretty cloudy--can barely see to the wall behind the tank. This was about 3-4 hours ago. Will it always be cloudy whenever I move stuff around, and is there anything that I can do to help with the cloudiness. I have three filters running on it now. Presumably this is bad for the fish, they aren't in there right now
Thanks
Christina
Just keep doing a series of frequent partial water changes 3 or more per week at 50%. This should speed up clarification. Do you use floss in your filter. Polyfibre or floss in the filter will help speed up clarification(be sure to rinse it with every water change and perhaps replace after a couple of water changes). You can also use Seachem Clarity this is a liquid that is safe for plants and is meant to clear up all kinds of cloudiness. But before I buy any of that stuff, I would just try the frequent water changes and floss if you are not using floss in your filter. That may be all that you need to take care of the problem.

Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
I was thinking floss would help, I don't have any but will pick some up today. The water looks better this morning but still cloudy. I also have the somewhat intimidating task of aquascaping to do today--sure to make the water more cloudy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's all in how you fill the tank. Next time lay a large plastic trash bag over the substrate and put your fill hose right in the center of the plastic. The more area the bag covers the better.

The flow is so gentle this way that I've filled tanks with unrinsed Turface/AquaSoil/Flourite and gotten a dust cloud no more than 2" high off the substrate.

For your current situation, I would drain the water from your tank to below the substrate level (dig a hole in your substrate so you can get your siphon hose to near the bottom glass). Once the water is removed wipe the tank glass to remove any film left from the dust cloud, then refill the tank using the above method.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
One more thing, try to do any moving of the substrate and placing of hard scape before you fill the tank with water.

And if you have access to one, nothing beats a diatom filter for clearing a newly setup tank.

óBill

|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 AM

Will you post a picture of the Turface red in your tank?

I'd like to see the coloration
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Andrew View Post
Will you post a picture of the Turface red in your tank?

I'd like to see the coloration

Yes - second that - i'd really like to see what it looks like as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode