Layering of Substrate! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Layering of Substrate!

Hi all!

I've been reading the forums here for years and decided it's about time I signed up! As an intro I live in AUS and have a low-tech 50G (3ft deep) for about a year Pics and details of the tank to come soon!

I would like to try my hand at a small aquascape and need some help on the substrate. For some context the tank is ~10G (about 1.5ftx1ft*1ft) and I am aquascaping to show a valley. The only plant (so far envisaged) will be HC or something similar; ideally small and carpeting to give a sense of perspective with the rocks ('cliffs and mountains').

My questions are:
1. Can I use gravel as a base layer to get the basic contour and then add aquasoil on top?
2. If not gravel, would sand or any other base substrate be ok?
3. Would the suggested base layer and aquasoil mix over time, and would this matter once the HC has carpeted?

I know purely aquasoil is best but that is far too much money for me to spend, particularly for the landscape I have imagined. I have 10kg of 2mm black gravel, 20kg of white river sand and plenty of Peat Moss at my disposal (bought from bunnings, our hardware store in AUS). The aquasoil is 3L of powdered ADA Amazonia. The aquasoil should form enough of a layer for the little HC's to root into. What are your thoughts & advice!

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Meru; 03-02-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added more detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
you can certainly layer substrate. keep in mind that the smaller particulars will eventually end up under the larger. So you might be fine using sand as filler and placing aquasoil over top.

keep in mind that any movement of the substrate (planting and replanting) will cause the two to mix.

another option though, larger rocks, chunks of plastic, etc, to take up space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks scapegoat,

Yea I was thinking that sand might be a better choice than gravel. Would the two mixing cause any problems after the plant has carpeted? I thought about other materials but it's tough to aquascape with them in the way (especially in a 1.5ft tank).

Anyone else got other ideas/comments on using sand?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode