what is the best type of sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question what is the best type of sand?

i have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and was wondering what to get some people say pool filter sand others say builders sand and some people say aquarium sand and was wanting some input from people who have had experience with getting sand for their tank. please share your wisdom.

Ixthus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ixthus; 03-01-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: it needed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
#20 pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand are two popular choices.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No sand can hold fertilizers the way better substrates can. Look into cationic exchange capacity. This is a way that soils hold onto fertilizers in a way that plants can get them. Sort of like a reserve in the substrate.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Planted Member

I would suggest you use a good quality substrate for plants, eco-complete, flourite, organic potting soil. And then put a cap on top of it of cosmetically nice sand, like flourite black sand, pool filter, black diamond, Tahitian moon sand.

You will have to be careful when filling the tank, and when rearranging it, but it will be a better medium for the plants to grow in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJVanier View Post
I would suggest you use a good quality substrate for plants, eco-complete, flourite, organic potting soil. And then put a cap on top of it of cosmetically nice sand, like flourite black sand, pool filter, black diamond, Tahitian moon sand.

You will have to be careful when filling the tank, and when rearranging it, but it will be a better medium for the plants to grow in.
Sand won't stay on top of Eco Complete. Smaller always works it's way lower. Sand is great on top of denser options, however (like any of the dirt options).

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Sand won't stay on top of Eco Complete. Smaller always works it's way lower. Sand is great on top of denser options, however (like any of the dirt options).
Extremely good point, I overlooked. Ecocomplete does make fine grade substrates though. http://www.caribsea.com/caribsea/ite...coplanted.html

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
i use regular old pool filter sand in my 29 gallon low light tank. root feeders are even growing well
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
#20 pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand are two popular choices.
Nailed it!

I love my Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Mine heavy enough you could siphon it, small enough to benefit plants, and I have had no ill effect keeping Kuhlie Loaches! So mine is whisker safe.... The black makes the greens and colors of the fish stick out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
it depends on what you want to use the sand for. for example in my hillstream tank i bought aquarium specific sand because it was the most round and least abrasive, so no belly scratches for my fish.

personally i don't like pool filter or play sand, i think they are too abrasive most bottom dwellers, but no one else seems to have trouble with it. so i'm pretty sure i'm just to picky.

don't let anyone tell you that sand is not a good option for aquariums. i don't care what Diana says (though she is always right), i have been able to grow anything i have tried (that works with my lighting and lack of CO2). yes it may not hold nutrients very well, but you can simply slide a root tab in and you are good to go. and to be honest in my first tank i stopped using root tabs after about 6 or 8 months and there was no change in growth, or deficencies in the leaves.

Will

on Facebook.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all of the great suggestions guys and i wanted to let you know i have decided to get pool filter sand.

Ixthus
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I fully agree with Aquatic Delight's last paragraph, and you won't regret getting pool filter sand, either # 20 or #30 grade.
I've used it for years in all my tanks and love it. And it grows plants very well too, with the moderate use of root tab ferts.
Have a look t a couple of my tanks to see for yourself:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...3RedSnakeSkins
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode