Lake Huron beach sand/gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lake Huron beach sand/gravel

Is there any problem with using Lake Huron beach sand/gravel. I know it has Zebra mussel and snail shells in it, but I may be able to get rid of most of the bigger pieces. I would wash and screen it first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
my family summers along the lake north of Toronto.
the water is so clean you can drink it, and the shallow
long beaches are spotless. it should make a great
substrate, just try to keep the grain size under 5mm.
the shell bits will provide useful calcium, so no need
to pick them all out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question sifted the lake gravel

So I sifted the lake gravel and now have fine sand, very fine gravel (about 2mm or less) gravel (about 3mm) and coarse stone between 3 and 5mm. I was thinking I would put down about one 1 inch of the fine sand, then about 3/4 inch of the fine gravel mixed with a bag of Eco Substrate, and top with the 3mm gravel. If needed I could use some of the coarse stone towards the back. What do you think. My first planted tank has a bottom layer of subsoil clay and vermiculite topped with coarse stone, over 5mm. The plants are doing Ok even in Woodstocks water, but if I try and move a plant with big roots, the clay clouds the water for days. I would like to try a tank without the clay and vermiculite. What do you think?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:04 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
the water is so clean you can drink it, and the .
Eek, you brave one! Remember fish logic....even if water looks clean it doesn't always mean that it is. I boat/fish/swim/pee in lake Huron.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I set up the tank with the gravel from Lake Huron. I planted the tank and put in the fish, so far so good, nice and clear.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode