Dumping ECO into filled tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dumping ECO into filled tank?

Hey,

I am redoing my 65G and would like more substrate. Would there be any disastrous effects on my fish if I went ahead and added another bag of ECO into my tank while some it still had some water? I would prefer not to have to empty my tank completely and net all the fish, etc... I realize that it may be cloudy for sometime but would this negatively effect anything?

Thanks for any input!

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
from what i have read you should have no issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I havent done it firsthand, but like bsmith I've read multiple posts of where it has been done with no ill effects.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Well, thats good enough for me...haha. I'll let ya know how she goes.

Andrew
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I took out all the gravel in my 55 gallon and put in 4 bags with the tank completely filled. Came out great and the fish were perfectly fine. Just a little cloudy for a bit.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think it's a problem. Speaking from personal experience.

I got the dumb idea of dumping a new bag of Eco Complete after I filled up a 55g half way with water, with fish, plants and all.

The fish are generally smart enough to get out of the way of the falling pebbles. I just remove all the plants from where I am dumping the EC. Water gets a little cloudy, but should settle in a few hours.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I did it and had no issues in doing so. I swapped out my gravel for Eco and did it with the tank about 1/2 full (to make it easier). One thing I did was to drain off the water in the bag prior to dumping it in. You probably don't have to do this, but I had read some stories about it clouding the water pretty bad. I didn't want to risk it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
I was thinking of adding another bag to my tank as well. Please include some pics on how this goes and how badly it clouds the water. I'm interested to see how it works out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't have a picture right after I dumped the eco.

But I have some a few hours later.

Five hours later: http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2199/77112371ql9.jpg
A few more hours later: http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/1048/88508823si3.jpg

The first picture is yellow because I didn't turn on the lights. It's just slightly tea-coloured in reality.

No WCs between, just tons of filterfloss on a dedicated Aquaclear HOB 50 as you can see.

Edit: Initially, it was so cloudy you couldn't see more than 2-3 inches into the tank.

IME I say flourite is 10x as worse. I basically didn't rinse the flourite since I knew it would just cause even more dust, since it breaks apart into smaller and smaller pieces.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb210 View Post
I was thinking of adding another bag to my tank as well. Please include some pics on how this goes and how badly it clouds the water. I'm interested to see how it works out.
Hopefully, I will have it done by next week. I'll try and snap some shots for ya.

Quote:
I don't have a picture right after I dumped the eco.

But I have some a few hours later.
That doesn't look too bad at all. What kind(s) of fauna did you have in when you added it?

Thanks,

Andrew
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Warning!!! Placing new gravel over the top ("capping") of an estabished gravel bed can be damaging to aquatic life. Gently mix new material into the existing bed with fingers. For added safety this process can be done, in sections, over the course of a few days.
From the instructions included with Eco-Complete. What would failing to mix the old and new substrate do? Trap ammonia? Just curious.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
From the instructions included with Eco-Complete. What would failing to mix the old and new substrate do? Trap ammonia? Just curious.
Perhaps, if alot of your beneficial bacteria was ontop of the substrate, then burrying it would be the same as removing it. I don't know if there is any truth to this at all. I am not overly concerned about it.

Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode