Enriching my flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Enriching my flourite

Hello all

Setting up a new 75g and trying to figure out what I want to do with the dirt layer. Here is my plan so far:

Bottom Glass:

Sprinkle some grains of Osmocote
Sprinkle some CSM + B micro's (1 teaspoon total?)
Sprinkle some CaCl2 + MgSO4 (2 teaspoons CaCl2, 1 ts Mgso4)

Mid Layer:
Miracle grow organic potting soil. 1/2 to 1 inch.

Top layer:

Flourite

My question is will the stuff at the bottom leach out too fast? The Osmocote should be fine all the way down there beneath a high CEC substrate?

I wanted to add some Ca and Mg to the substrate. I have very soft water. I thought this was a good way of doing it without the messiness of clay.

What do you think about adding the micro's to the bottom glass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
The CSM+B will dissolve once the water saturates the substrate. The CaCl2 and MgSO4 will react when exposed to water forming solid CaSO4 and MgCl2.

If you want to add calcium and magnesium to your dirt, look for some dolomite. It's sold for saltwater aquariums for use in calcium reactors.

Edit: You can also dose GH booster after each water change if you can't find dolomite.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks! It makes sense the chemistry of the substrate would produce a simple replacement like that. I'll grab some dolomite. This won't raise the kH will it?

I kinda knew the csm + b would get into the water column, but I thought that as it worked it's way up most of it would be caught by high CEC.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
The dolomite will raise the KH as it slowly dissolves. So when sprinkling it over the bottom layer, use only a tiny amount.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
Not really much to do with your post but i had to chime in I will be getting a ton of fitzville dolomite from well I cant say. I usually do a hydrocloric bath to remove all the calcium carbonate veins, and make the rock look waaaay better than sheiryu stone tons of character. The process makes it inert but I could possibly save you some without the bath if your into the sheiryu look. I'll try to find some pics and post it here.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the build thread with the rocks. http://www.aquaticutah.com/viewtopic.php?t=668
And here's a crappy pic lol

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The veins are actually
CaMg(CO3)2, Calcium Magnesium Carbonate

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
You are in Maine and have amazing native soil better than any potting mix for an aquarium and its free for the taking. I have always used native soil by digging down one foot to the sub clay layer than putting it in a rubbermaid box and mixing in river sand about 60 sand 40 soil or until it becomes crumbly. I add a thin layer of eco complete, flourite, or small decorative gravel or even silica sand to the bottom. I than add a layer about 1/4 inch of the soil sand mix and cover that with 1/2 inch or so of your decorative substrate of choice. This soil will hold nutrients very well as a reservoir (i use osmocote plus). As an easy alternative you can also make 1" balls and freeze them and place them around the heavy root feeders like crypts, swords, vals and such and this works great and you can also add some prills of osmocote to the center of the soil balls before freezing for a 2 in one deal. I grow everything from hard to grow stems and heavy root feeders and if you grow swords you will get flowers in a hurry with this they love it. Ponds have natural sandy clay silt on the bottom and pond edge and plants grow well in it and in my opinion there is nothing better as it will not break down and you just have to add ferts to it when it is depleted just like in the garden. Easy, Cheap and grows fantastic healthy plants "cant ask for much more in my opinion". It is safe for fish and inverts as well I have all the above. I also add like MTS in my tank and other snails as they do have a purpose in an ecosystem but that is just an option and my Mexican Dwarf crayfish keep their numbers in check.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode