Potting Mix, Gravel Cap in a Small Pot - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Potting Mix, Gravel Cap in a Small Pot

Looking for some advice about putting a small pot with an inch of old MGPM and 1/2 inch gravel cap in the tank (10g) to plant a couple of Pygmy Chain Swords that aren't doing so well. Sort of sticking my toe in the water before I dive into the full dirt substrate.

I will have to get some stem plants to take up the ammonia that is leached from the MGPM. I will sink the pot into the substrate. I think I will use two of the same pot one inside the other to cover the holes in the bottom.

Should I use a clay pot rather than plastic? Will the ammonia be bad?

The most basic thing I need to know is if this is a bad idea or ok.

Thanks a lot

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It's a perfect idea. Most of the plants in my emersed setup are in clay pots. I bought the clay orchid pots from HD. Fifty nine or seventy nine cents each. I also bought a ton of the smaller clay pots. Put in top soil and added a cap. I use gravel sometimes and sand other times. Depends on what I have right on hand. I've also used the plastic net pots. They work fine. I've got only a couple in the plastic pots. Don't care for those.
As an example. I needed to put in some plants into a 55 I had to change over. Just grabbed a planted pot and put it right in. Instant aquascape.

I've never used MGOPM. Always plain old top soil from the BB stores.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've set up two tanks with MGOCPM, and I didn't notice any ammonia leaching from it.

I was doing a fishless cycle immediately after set up, so if it was leaching, it was a tiny amount and just blended in with the cycle.

I've heard the actual composition can vary somewhat from area to area, so maybe it's an issue with some batches and not others?

I think clay would probably be better then plastic, but I'm not sure why. If nothing else, you can get algae to grow on it, and attach moss to it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been doing that for some time with great results. I take clear 5" round deli containers, heat a nail with a torch and melt a ring of holes around the bottom on the side for some circulation. The roots eventually spread out the holes. I've had an Amazon sword that would never grow in plain gravel (I understand there heavy feeders). I planted it in a pot with soil (Miracle Grow organic) and now it's huge.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharger View Post
I've been doing that for some time with great results. I take clear 5" round deli containers, heat a nail with a torch and melt a ring of holes around the bottom on the side for some circulation. The roots eventually spread out the holes. I've had an Amazon sword that would never grow in plain gravel (I understand there heavy feeders). I planted it in a pot with soil (Miracle Grow organic) and now it's huge.
Thanks for the reply. I have some of those deli cups. The only problem now is that I just got a load of plants and I don't have any room for a deli cup. Surprised the MGOCPM didn't come out the holes. Glad you're having good luck. I'm switching to MGOCPM very shortly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode