Eco-Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Eco-Complete

I'm a little confused about this substrate... I read in a previous thread that the majority of the nutrients in this substrate is contained within the liquid in the bag. Is there any validity to that statement? It concerns me because water changes would render the nutrient load of the substrate rather quickly if it was all in solution.

Also, if I were to use half of the substrate and save the rest for another tank or a future use (since I only have a 5 gallon hex), would the EC be fouled due to air-exposure? I assume that the live bacteria in the substrate might die, and I don't particularly want anything else growing in there. Should I let it dry out if I'm not going to use the remainder of the bag for several months?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
I read in a previous thread that the majority of the nutrients in this substrate is contained within the liquid in the bag.
LOL, I'd love to know who made that nonsense up!?

just use it straight without rinsing it.
and if it stays wet or drys out in
storage, it won't really matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
The Eco will stay good. I have used half bags that had been opened for a year before. I also have used the same Eco for 3 years (I have been switching tanks around) and it grows everything just the same.

--------------

Riley

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
its a great sustrate , i have had this for a yr and plants r still growing nicely
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
as I mentioned earlier... alot of people have had really good results using this substrate,
the downside as to why more people dont use it is becuase of the cost

You have to remember though... yes the substrate is a vital part in growing healthy plants, but it is merely only a part of the whole equation..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The liquid is a bacterial content of the substrate. It helps cycling tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reizao View Post
The liquid is a bacterial content of the substrate. It helps cycling tank.
I know that's what they advertise and I believe you if you say it works but how do the bacteria survive with out air and ammonia. The ammonia is easy enough I suppose to supply in the liquid mix but Nutrifying bacteria are aerobic species. I'm just perplexed I guess and quite a bit gun shy after my first 3 years (6 total) of keeping fish and wasting countless amounts of money on "quick cycle" products to only discover that only BioSpira actually works. And that's only if it's kept refrigerated from the time it's packaged till the time it's introduced in your tank.

Just can't seem to get my arms wrapped around this one.
________
condominiums sale Pattaya

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleekdafish View Post
its a great sustrate , i have had this for a yr and plants r still growing nicely
Ditto. I've had this for around a year also and I've had nothing but good results. Eco-Complete is great stuff, just a tad pricey. Sometimes you can catch a good sale though. Best of luck and keep us posted on that hex5! I have one also and I'm kind of at a standstill with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:41 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I paid 24 bucks for a 20lb bag, like I have 60lbs =80 bucks..its worth it...doesnt cloud the tank and it also give a nice blk color
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb210 View Post
Ditto. I've had this for around a year also and I've had nothing but good results. Eco-Complete is great stuff, just a tad pricey. Sometimes you can catch a good sale though. Best of luck and keep us posted on that hex5! I have one also and I'm kind of at a standstill with it.
Thanks, Mikeb. I suppose I'll start a thread somewhere with pics, but right now I don't have much aquascaping going on. It's mostly a practice tank to see if I can even grow plants. So far, so good. Even with inert gravel and a 13 watt CF, I can grow java moss and corkscrew val like crazy, and my red ludwigia has lots of pink and red new growth. Pretty neat. Reason I ask about the EC is because I want to do things right when I set up a larger tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode