Help With Shallow Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Help With Shallow Substrate

So I'm dusting off the Mini M and setting it up as a moss only shrimp tank. I have always wanted to setup a tank with a shallow or thin layer of substrate. I like the white sand look but have heard of people having issues with it getting in their filter and messing it up. I also like the look of the fluval shrimp stratum but have never used it and hear some people say it turns to mush after a few months. I would like people to give me their opinion on either substrate or another that might work. Also I know ada Amazonia is great ( I have it in my 20L shrimp tank) but I don't want to order substrate considering shipping cost. This is just going to be a low cost setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the intake to the filter is high enough then the sand should not get into it.
Also, if the outlet of water from the filter does not kick up the substrate, that will help.

I really only had problems with one tank that way. A power head would blow the substrate too close to the filter intake. Adjusting the aim of the PH solved that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How about growing a moss carpet on an elevated mesh screen. You could wireframe it to provide areas of slope. You could then set it up on some egg crate. The substrate would then be added to hide the screen support. After the moss fills in, you would add your hardscape items. If wanted to add other plants, you could preplan cut outs in the screen for small pots filled with substrate. Wow, I think I just brainstormed my, oops, your tank. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I like the look of just plain substrate in the front and then add moss around the rocks towards the back.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
How about growing a moss carpet on an elevated mesh screen. You could wireframe it to provide areas of slope. You could then set it up on some egg crate. The substrate would then be added to hide the screen support. After the moss fills in, you would add your hardscape items. If wanted to add other plants, you could preplan cut outs in the screen for small pots filled with substrate. Wow, I think I just brainstormed my, oops, your tank. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Sound like an awesome plan, I'd like to see it play out.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I agree I would love to see that idea come to life. I would attempt it with this tank but I just have a different route I want to take. If you end up setting it up shoot me a link to the journal. If I went with sand what would be the best white sand to get that isn't going to discolor over time? Also if I'm only growing moss do I need to worry about root tabs or CFC or any of that stuff?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3ww3rd View Post
I agree I would love to see that idea come to life. I would attempt it with this tank but I just have a different route I want to take. If you end up setting it up shoot me a link to the journal. If I went with sand what would be the best white sand to get that isn't going to discolor over time? Also if I'm only growing moss do I need to worry about root tabs or CFC or any of that stuff?

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Like I was saying, just thinking out loud and you were the catalyst and the victim.
With regard to sand discoloration, I would think that as long as your sand substrate didn't get too deep (denitrification processes) or come in contact with stones or bordering substrate that has an iron content (oxidation).
I've never grown any mosses in any of my project tanks so can't comment on root tabs or CFC but I'm sure if you pose that question in a forum, you'll find your answer. Good luck with the direction your taking on this tank.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode