power sand sizes, any science or just marketing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
power sand sizes, any science or just marketing?

Ok,

I took the plunge and ordered AS and PS.

Only my reseller managed to send me one bag of M sized power sand and one bag of S sized power sand .

Does anyone know what the science behind the sizes is?

As far as I can tell the only difference is the coarseness of the nodules. The M has nodules that are up to 1cm in sice while the S has nodules of about 2mm in size.

If there is some science behind it, is that science sound enough that I should send the S bag back and wait for the correct size, or should I just go ahead and mix the S in with my M and get on with planting?

Thanks for any advice/comments

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Some one claimed, this is speculation, a huge pile of it...........that the grain sizes for the pumice is larger for larger tanks that are deeper, because of the increased water pressure, so they have large diameters to allows better diffusion to prevent anaerobic conditions.

This is a crock.
I can sell you diet pills, new age crystals too.

What is Powersand?
Pumice, and peat mostly, soaked in a terrestrial type fertilize(high NO3, low NH4) and some osmocoat like stuff added.

You can see 3 of these, and test the 4th with a simple test kit and some water.

When you up root the tank plants, the powersand mixes with the opposite colored Aqua soil. Folks tell people that "you must have the powersand", it's the key etc etc.

This is also a crock.

ADA aqua soil is great and contains plenty of nutrients for the long and short term.

Then there's no added cost nor mixing, nor layering monkey business.
ADA has some 100+ products, not all of them are critical to keeping a nice tank.

Why some assume it is, is not rational.
You go down and test one by one, what does what.
Then you know rather than use belief systems for advice.

Can I interested you in some Hydrilla Diet pills for 30$ for a months supply?
They are organic after all

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the advice.

Im not one to be led by marketing fluff. Thats why Ive started posting questions here.

I chose ADA AS because of the resulats that Amano seems to get using those products. Im acutely aware however that its as much down to his skill with plants and systems as it is with the products he uses.

I also chose it becuase after reading through all the relevant threads on here I made an educated decison.

I may come to regret that decison. 200 UK pounds for substrate alone doesnt leave much margin for error Not unless i want to scrape out soggy substrate and reuse it...

I have been growing citrus for a few years now in a home built hydroponics lab so im on completely stupid

Anyway

Thanks for the advice, its appreciated as always.

Marc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode