SMS Advice!! HURRY!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Exclamation SMS Advice!! HURRY!!!

Ok well I found a couple bags of SMS in a store a few hundred miles from me, and they said they had a few bags of this stuff in!!

My question is... would it be worth it to buy it and pay shipping
($30.23 total) or just try to find something else around where I live??

Also.. I have a 55 gal tank, so how many bags would you recomend I purchase?? (the price would be $60.46 for 2 bags)

I need advice fast since they said they only have a few bags left!!

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
$30 a bag is still a good price.
I needed 6 bags of Fluorite for my 55.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I would get the two bags...

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Is SMS something you want? Or, is it something you "settled for" initially because of precieved cost?

If SMS is the substrate that you want--then grab it. You been having a lot of problems trying to get it.

If its just something you initially thought was a good choice that would save you $$--then you may want to think about it.

$60 for ~100lbs of substrate is still pretty cheap.....

HTH

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

ya well at first the reason why I wanted it was :
1. The Price
2. The great reviews

But I mean now that its going to cost me 60 bux for 100 lbs I am starting to rethink this whole thing!! But I mean if you guys think I should still go for it then I might as well get it, unless you guys have any other suggestions.

So you dont think 50 lbs for a 55 would be enough then?...Oh sorry I forgot to mention earlier that one bag is 50 lbs.

Oh and thanks sooo much for the fast replies!! It really means alot! (Kodak Moment)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
If you do it, definitely get 2 bags.
(make sure they are the same color)
the deeper the substrate the better.
If I could get SMS Charcoal here in
NY State for $30/bag I'd grab them,
so I could enjoy a nice 4" gravel bed.

they must be shipping it DHL Ground within the same State.
it's the only possible way you can ship 50 pounds that cheap.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok im just gonna do it... It takes me a while to make tough decisions like this but it's already been going on probably 2 months now and I still havent bought a substrate for my 55 gal yet. Plus I'm cheap.

Ok well here goes nothin!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty much any orther plant-oriented substrate is going to cost you more--some twice as much. So, you are back where you started!

If I remember--you are a college student? If so, there's now doubt that you can use the savings elsewhere in your life.

SMS has Good reviews--its a Good Substrate. So, that's not a problem.

In your shoes--I think I would get both bags.....

Have you verified that its the color that you want?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey good memory Naja!

Ya I made sure It was charcole.. omg would I be pissed if they shipped me red!! Thats pretty much the reason I wanted SMS instead of schultz.

Oh btw.. I still havent received your shippment, I'm sure I will get it soon! can't wait! It's all comming together now!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hopefully, it will get there today---its a big box!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 bag is more than enough for a 55. I used about 1/3 of a bag to get 3" in my 55. Make sure you give it a very thorough rinsing
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I agree with lester, 1 bag is plenty for a 55gal. 1 bag would give you 4" easy.
I have half a bag left myself, although I have a bottom peat layer on 2/3's of the tank and a layer of black sand above that.

It might be nice to have an extra bag for future projects though.

On a side note...are they shipping it directly to you or to your local Lesco? My local store had mine shipped to them from another warehouse free of charge.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Did you have trouble finding SMS Charcoal, or just SMS? Cause you could have driven up here to Ann Arbor to get SMS Red.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post
I agree with lester, 1 bag is plenty for a 55gal. 1 bag would give you 4" easy.
I have half a bag left myself, although I have a bottom peat layer on 2/3's of the tank and a layer of black sand above that.

It might be nice to have an extra bag for future projects though.

On a side note...are they shipping it directly to you or to your local Lesco? My local store had mine shipped to them from another warehouse free of charge.
Ya the Lesco near me wouldnt pay for the shipping ...trust me I tried, so I had them just ship it to my house.

I ended up getting 2 bags, just in case.. I mean they are phasing it out so I figured I might as well get it while i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Did you have trouble finding SMS Charcoal, or just SMS? Cause you could have driven up here to Ann Arbor to get SMS Red.
Ya... I found places with red..red was easy to find, It was the charcoal I had trouble with. I'm kinda pissed I ended up paying 62 bux but atleast I got 2 bags of what I want for it... o well
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by strizzi16 View Post
Ya... I found places with red..red was easy to find, It was the charcoal I had trouble with. I'm kinda pissed I ended up paying 62 bux but atleast I got 2 bags of what I want for it... o well

Here's how it usually works for me:

I get the stuff, get everything setup, look at whatever I have left over (like extra substrate), find a place to put it.

When the next idea (brilliant or not) starts forming in my head, I start thinking: Well I've already got this...and that....and all I really need is....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode