ADA Aquasoil re-use question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
ADA Aquasoil re-use question

hello, how do I or is it possible to do a re-scape using aquasoil? I've had the tank running for a few months now and I've never gotten over the initial algal outbreak so I was thinking of stripping it down cleaning everything and starting again now I'm better prepared.
If it's possible is there anything I should look out for/carry out?
Is it possible to clean the substrate also or would this not be advised?
Thank you in advance.
Gareth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

no one?
10 characters
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
are you going in a different tank or the same one?

if the same one just take everything out and let the dust settle and rescape.

if a different one drain all the water, take everything out, scoop out the substrate and put it in the new tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
You can vacuum AS and rescape with it without problems. I do both of these with the AS I've had for nearly a year, and it hasn't caused any issues at all. Just make sure your gravel vac isn't so strong that it will suck up the AS.
Disturbing the substrate will cloud the water temporarily, but it doesn't seem to affect anything negatively.

When I do any rescaping, I go with a 50% water change, as is the weekly schedule anyway. When doing half the tank or more, I will go with two straight 50% WC's back to back. I've never had an issue with fish health or algae blooms this way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was planning on using it in the same tank but the tank needs a good scrub and the gravel a good vac I just wondered if it was possible to clean as or would it send it back to square one regarding leeching and what not but if you guys are doing fine then im guessing not.
I say rescape loosely It's more of a strip down and re-set up knowing all the mistakes I made regarding start up.

Probably the wrong section to ask this but if I already have algae, I strip down, clean, re-plant and refill and get my dosing and co2 set up would The plants still be unhealthy and leaking ammonia and cause algae simply postponing another algae take over?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
algea is simply the byproduct of unequal nutrients in the tank. wether it be lighting, co2 or fertz.

if all your trying to do is rid the tank of algea then there is no need for a tear down, just track all of the abov ed mentioned things until you find either a deficet ot ecess of one and then you will have the root of the algea issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode