Retail Substrait? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Retail Substrait?

Ok is there any substrate out there that I can find at a Lowes or Home Depot or any other store out there, that would work for my 55 gal..?

I am having the worst luck trying to find SMS, well one because its on the out, and the Lesco near me isnt getting Turface in untill the season is back (spring) . I cant even find anyone that carries Espoma or Schultz!! I am getting really frusterated because I really dont want to have to spend 100 on Aquasoil or Eco-complete. I have Eco-complete on my 26 gal bow and I am not to happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 03:44 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lowes and Home Depot don't have Schultz? They do in my area.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

well I went to Lowes and they didnt have it...I havent checked home depot, but I went on their web site and it I couldnt find it

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Go to Lesco.com, create an account, purchase the amount of Turface you want and Lesco will ship it to your local store. The manager doesn't need to bring it in for you. And he'll have to call you to let you know it's in because your name will be on the order with your phone number. It's too bad your Lesco manager isn't more like Ronnie at mine. He found a Lesco dealer that had some SMS left and got me 2 bags of Charcoal in like 3 days. I didn't have to pay UPS charges or anything. And said he'd be glad to do it again for me if I needed any more as long as he can find it.

Or, you can go to the Pro's Choice website and contact them and ask about where you can buy the stuff. I just went through the same changes you're going through. About 2 weeks ago is when I started.
________
Web Shows

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 PM

It's worth calling and asking the Lowes and Home Depot stores in your area. Where I live some of them have the stuff and some don't. Failing that, I've seen the stuff for sale at nursery / garden center type places. ...or at least I saw it at a nursery / garden center type place. It was in the area where they had the rest of their pond stuff.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Check out your Home Depot Online. Make sure to select a Home Depot close to you.

Once you have done that, look under

# Outdoors
# > Garden Center
# > Soils, Mulches & Conditioners

You should get about 4 screens. Go through each until you see shultz. If you don't, once you have selected the store you want to browse, then do a search for Schultz.

They don't sell it online which is why you were not able to find it. Hope this helps you out!

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Go ahead and search for the Schultz if you want to settle. My experience is Schultz is a very poor substrate for a planted aquarium. I've been using it and based my tank + test results I've searched out here and on other forums, I did whatever was necessary to get my hands on some SMS. If you've used it with different results, please don't take offense to my post. I mean no harm to anyone, I just can't grow anything in it very well, with the exception of Wisteria and Rotalla which I believe could grow in my bathtub with suds and all and no lighting.
________
Washington medical marijuana

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:28 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Like Tdon1md said, go online or ask the local manager to place an order.
My local manager found another Cali store that had some, and had it to me within 2-3 days.
He actually ordered 11 bags and I'm considering going back to grab a few more just to keep in the garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
what makes sms so special. it seems like there is no advantage over inert aquarium gravel to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
what makes sms so special. it seems like there is no advantage over inert aquarium gravel to me.
Cation Exchange Capacity
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

does someone feel like ordering a bag for me and shipping it?!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
Cation Exchange Capacity
Which means it absorbs nutrients from the water column and makes it available for the roots of the plant. I've read side by side reports of tests with it against ADA Aquasoil Amazonian II and SMS proved superior growth. Not sure how Scientific the test was and really don't care. Point is for $13.00 per 50# bag, if it could even hold a candle to Aquasoil, it would be the hands down best value in the planted tank arena in my opinion.
________
Arianna_S

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by strizzi16 View Post
does someone feel like ordering a bag for me and shipping it?!
As I said b4, if your Lesco store isn't willing to locate a bag of SMS for you, go online, register, pay for a bag of Turface (everything I've read leads me to believe its very very very similar to SMS) and Lesco will deliver it to your local store, they'll have no choice but to bring it in for you. So, no I wouldn't feel like ordering a bag for you. There's no need. You can do it yourself.
________
CrystalClear live

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 AM

Strizzi16, some say that aquariumplants.com own substrate is the same as SMS and much cheaper.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...substrate.html

I don't know if this is true or not, although I am tempted to experiment with it.

I don't work for aquariumplants and I did am not saying that they are the same, but it may be worth checking out.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss-1.htm

Good Luck
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

ok well I went to the AP website about their substrate..after shipping, it would cost me $61.07.. not to bad but still pretty pricy considering a bag of turface or SMS is $20 or less

I'm gonna try going on Lesco's web site and registering..we'll see what happens...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode