active-flora...i like you...but.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
active-flora...i like you...but....

I just spent the day filling my 27 cube with black diamond blasting sand. My Activ-flora order arrived in the afternoon and I used 4 bags in my 150 cube mixed with my Eco Complete.

I am not knocking Activ-flora at all, I quite like it. My frustration is because I can literally not tell any difference between the blasting sand and the activ-flora. I seriously put them both in each hand and can not tell any difference outside of the fact that I need to rinse the blasting sand a million times and activ-flora needed no rinsing at all.

Am I missing something or did i just spend 7 dollars for 50 pounds only to turn around and spend 60 dollars for 45 pounds of the exact same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I looked into getting some black diamond blasted sand some time back. I found a lot of posts on here and other sites mentioning that it was sharp and could cut fish and even your hands when planting. It makes sense as it's made to be sharp, for well..."blasting". For me that was enough to stray me away from using it.

Not having actually used it though I can't comment on personal experience. I do know they're several brands out there and a variety of grades so I would imagine their might be differences between them. If you have ActivFlora and a variety of BDBS maybe you could test them out more and examine closely if theirs any difference in size, texture, etc. between the two. I know some BDBS has goldish silver flakes in it from what I've heard so that might be another thing to look into as well.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
My black diamond sand has extremely small rod shaped pieces of gold color material. The inside of the bucket I washed it in is cut up and my hands got a little red from swishing it around. Determining if its "safe" or not can be found in multiple threads, most of the time rife with debate. All I'm saying is to me they are different.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree there is more consistency with the activ flora, I really do like it. Perhaps I just ended up with a really good sample of bds. I simply cannot tell them apart visually or in texture, both have metallic looking particles. Oh well, with the amount of washing it took on the blasting sand I sort of appreciate the convenience of AF.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode