aqua soil question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
aqua soil question

well im going to be getting some soon and i was wondering if the powersand is necessary and what does the powersand do anyway

« Neil »

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/91%)
Ive never used it, and my tank has been fine. The purpose can be either a cosmetic preference for a smaller grain, or a supposed inclusion of extra things that may or may not be good for your tank. That being said, i love me some AS.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Powersand is not necessary, but it is recommended by ADA. It colonizes bacteria in the substrate, aiding plant growth. I just got a bag of Powersand Special with some Aqua Soil, going to be used on my 10G.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
A gentleman at my lfs (Which is the wonderful AquaForest in SF) recommended that the powersand be used under thick areas of substrate, esp in larger tanks. Likely for the reason TRFjason recommended above.

Currently resetting...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
thanks for the info!

« Neil »

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Question

Sorry to hijack this thread, but since we are on the topic of ADA aquasoil questions, can someone tell me if there is any beneft to getting the more expensive Amazonian II aquasoil powder over just the regular Amazonian II soil.

I may be tearing one of my 10 gallon tanks and redoing it with ADA aquasoil Amazonian II for experimental purposes.

Thanks.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (22/100%)
I use ADA Amazonia soild without power sand in my 15 gal and plants are growing fine.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but since we are on the topic of ADA aquasoil questions, can someone tell me if there is any beneft to getting the more expensive Amazonian II aquasoil powder over just the regular Amazonian II soil.

I may be tearing one of my 10 gallon tanks and redoing it with ADA aquasoil Amazonian II for experimental purposes.

Thanks.
The initial set up is much less of a PITA. The duration of ammonia and other organics leeching out of the soil is much less problematic both in terms of duration (2 weeks compared to 5 weeks IME) and severity ( with the regular I literally could not see at all, whereas with "type II" it was only a slight cloudiness to the water column)...hope this helps. I would def. go with Type II...much better in terms of set up, but not substantially different over time, AS of anytime is far superior IMHO than anything out there (except at initial set up).

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the clarification styxx, much appreciated. My delivery of AquaSoil Amazonian II soil just arrived. I will be tearing down a fluorite based 10 gallon to test it. Lol, no more space in my home to put up any new tanks.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
no problem! Good luck...if you're have some patience you will be very happy with it I'm sure!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (79/100%)
Hello all
I had the water running for like 2 weeks before my Aquasoil finally arrived .. I put the soil in the 14th and had been changing water for like once a day since then .. The water look kinda clear with just a hint of cloudiness in there and the water should be well cycled since I seeded the water with the water from the other tank. My question here is when is it ready for some crystal red shrimps ? The KH is low in the 30ish, the ph is around 6.2-6.3 and the GH is around 50ppm. I have some plants in the tank and would like to raise the ph to around 6.5. Is there a way to do this without increasing the hardness of the water ? Please advise
thanks
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
What are your ammonia and nitrite readings? Don't mess with the ph, it is fine where it is.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
What are your ammonia and nitrite readings? Don't mess with the ph, it is fine where it is.
Those have the reading of zero
I am just worry about the ph not being at 6.5 or may be I am just worry too much .. and the kh is kinda low .. or are they ok just the way they are now ?

My tap water is moderate soft but I used 1/3 RO water with 2/3 tap water anyway and those are my reading ..

Also .. is it ok for me to put in a piece of driftwood or will it even lower my ph ??

================
Not sure if this is a right place to ask but I have another tank use eco-complete as the gravel base and somehow the ecocomplete buffer my water to HARD while the KH and PH still in the low like the reading in the aquasoil tank .. even if I keep doing water change with 100% RO water, the water is still HARD with the same kh/ph readin .. so my question here: Is the ecocomplete raise the water to HARD ? or is it something wrong with my reading ??
Please advise
thanks a lot
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trfjason View Post
Powersand is not necessary, but it is recommended by ADA. It colonizes bacteria in the substrate, aiding plant growth. I just got a bag of Powersand Special with some Aqua Soil, going to be used on my 10G.
Did you mail order the AS from the States? I can't find any AS in Toronto or Canada for the matter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode