Fluval stratum with gravel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval stratum with gravel?

Hey guys! I started a 5.5 gal planted betta tank with fluval stratum. All of the plants are growing very well healthy. However, sometimes, a plant floats up and when I re plant it, the tank gets very cloudy. So, I was thinking about putting a layer of gravel on top. But, the packaging states that the stratum should never be mixed with other substrates. I would like to add some gravel to prevent cloudy water and plants floating up. Would this be ok?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
What kind of plants do you have? I had the same problem with Fluval Stratum. I don't recommend putting gravel on top of the Stratum. I think that the weight of the gravel will crush the substrate, causing the Stratum to break down into finer dust. Then you get dust all over your plant leaves

Eventually I just threw moss on top of the substrate to keep the cloudiness down. You have to be very careful when changing the water too. I usually pour in a little at a time trying to avoid disturbing the Stratum.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
I did this before, the stratum does break down. Huge dust storm during pwc!

I have since replaced with new Fluval stratum sans gravel layer.

2020 Basement Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40g Goldfish Soon, 29g Soon, 15g Soon, 15 Flex Soon
Retired Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode