fertilizer tabs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
fertilizer tabs

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...5.2783912&sr=1

Would these fertilizer tabs work in a planted aquarium?
I realize they are made for ponds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
Here is the breakdown, different packaging but still 10-14-8;

http://www.pondpetsusa.com/aquatic_p...nt_tablet.html

You can compare them to Seachem's tabs here:

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...urishTabs.html

The quick answer is yes, you can use them and they SHOULD be safe. You will probably see some benefit from them as well. However, they do have a lot of nitrogen in them which may cause algae breakouts.

Here is the breakdown on Jungle Tabs:

http://www.petco.com/product/13341/J...Plus-Iron.aspx

Anyone have the link to some online plant store that sold their own tabs in a bottle of 50 for $9.99?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
How about water column ferts instead? The powdered ferts from Rex or whoever you choose are super cheap, last for a year on average, and have given me great results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
How about water column ferts instead? The powdered ferts from Rex or whoever you choose are super cheap, last for a year on average, and have given me great results.
There are a few plants in this hobby that would benefit from direct fertilization at their base/roots. Many plants in this hobby absorb nutrients through their foliage but there are some that naturally grow emersed and rely heavily on nutrients found in the substrate beneath them. This is where root tabs come in handy.

Python,
Check the recent thread in the Swap & Shot forum re: the plant tabs for sale from MedicineMan.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah I saw those medicine man tabs, I was thinking about ordering some but don't need so many. I was looking at these because they have them at my local Petsmart and they are cheaper than the flourish. This would be for a tank which has only inert gravel, so I am concerned about my crypts and aponogetons getting enough nutrients at their roots. I noticed the extra nitrogen, too, but I am not as concerned because the tank has a modest fish load and I don't dose any other N.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:16 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is an interesting topic because I have amazon swords (heavy root feeders) and just ordered some NPK tabs to use as fertilizer.

A warning if you get the flourish tabs. They contain alot of calcium which will precipitate with sulfate ions, so if you add magnesium sulfate or potassium sulfate, you will be wasting fertilizers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What do the numbers (10-14-8) mean?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
What do the numbers (10-14-8) mean?
Those are the macronutrient concentration. Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium.

These tabs make sense for swords, crypts and other plants that tend to form big roots to draw nourishment from the substrate.

However, you have to be careful that the source for Nitrogen isn't something that produces an algae bloom (i.e. urea and other stuff similar to ammonia)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

is it possible to over fertilize with tab ferts....got a amazzon sword seemed to be doing okay but since the tabs have been introduced is going on the brown side....have read about nutrient deficiencies and that has me believing that it may be a potassium deficiency....how bout some help?????

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode