Deciding on a substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Deciding on a substrate

I am starting a 65gal, and am trying to decide on a substrate. I'm a believer in doing it right the first time, so if I need to spend a little extra money, that's ok, but! that doesn't mean I want to waste money for the overhyped latest and greatest. I narrowed it down to Flourite, Aquasoil, and Soilmaster.

Since all of these a clay based, my first question is do I need a substate that is pre-loaded with nutrients. Yes, this might help initially, but can Flourite and SMS be soaked in nutrients so that they absorb? Is this really important, or just marketing?

Is the iron in Flourite important and can it be replaced by iron supplementation in the water column. Do certain plants require iron at the root level vs. water column?

Do dyes in SMS effect it's porosity and therefore it's CEC?

What is the difference in their respective weights, and is this a real difference or just a personal preference?

Also, is there any possible combination of substrates that would be "ideal"? I know that's subjective, but I was considering Flourite black with SMS charcoal, totally mixed, not layered. I don't want a layered scheme, due to be mixed up eventually.

This ends up being a cost benefit analysis. I like aquasoil, but when I include shipping, the cost skyrockets, so I'm questioning whether the benefit outweighs the cost?

Thanks for any and all input!!!!

Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Interesting questions...

I'd say you don't need to "pre-soak" the substrate. Under some circumstances, like if you want to do Tom Barrs "Dry Way" of starting a tank, it might be beneficial. I think the Ammonium content of Aquasoil can be as much as a headache as it is beneficial for plants. Since this is just an initial thing, maybe not necessary.

Well I don't have experience with Aquasoil, but comparing Flourite and Soilmaster, the disadvantage of the latter is the light weight, which might be a bit frustrating when you do your initial planting. Also a bit harder to vacuum if you ever want to. That's a real difference, and if you are the patient type and don't mind replanting a few things early on it shouldn't be a problem.

I know you don't want a layered substrate, but it might be feasible and beneficial to do a lower layer of SMS and a top layer of Flourite black. That way the heavier Flourite makes planting easier, and the SMS adds some low cost volume to your substrate layer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
i love my flourite/natural river clay/fine gravel mix.

110 Tall in progress!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode