Adding a layer of flourite black? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding a layer of flourite black?

I have regular flourite in my planted tanks and want to try a darker substrate. Rather than switching out substrates, I'm thinking of just putting a layer of flourite black on top. Would this work? Am I correct to understand that flourite "black" and "regular" are roughly the same size so I shouldn't worry about the black flourite working its way down to the bottom over time? Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Eventually, due to the action of uprooting and replanting some of the lower layer will mix with the top. The question is only how quickly this happens.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Regular Flourite and Flourite Black are different in size. Flourite Black is more the size of Onyx Gravel. Flourite Dark and regular Flourite are the same size.

If you really want to have a black substrate you're best to start over from the beginning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks. Good to know.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I concur. Better to just start over fresh, you'll be happier in the long run. No matter what you do the substrates will end up mixing up over time.

The plural of anecdote is not data
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Is anyone aware of any black substrate/gravel that is roughly the same size/shape as flourite red that would mix well with fluorite? I'd like it to look "mixed" and not separate over time. Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Collectoritis Patient

The new Flourite Dark would be a good choice. It's a very dark brown color.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
ADA AquaSoil, ever heard of it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Aaron, anybody in the area carry the flourite dark? Tried to make it to Scales the other day but it didn't work out. Similar consistantcy between the two?

Yes, I've heard of Aquasoil, but it never occurred to me to mix the two. Are they pretty similar in consistancy?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Collectoritis Patient

I ordered it from Fox Mill Pets in Herndon, VA. www.foxmillpets.com

It was cheap enough shipping to warrant not driving an hour and paying tolls to pick it up in store. Also, they don't have everything in store that they do online necessarily.

Aquasoil is not the same consistency as Flourite. Flourite and Flourite Dark are the exact same size. The Flourite Black is smaller and would probably settle below the larger red Flourite over time. Aquasoil is also smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post
Aaron, anybody in the area carry the flourite dark? Tried to make it to Scales the other day but it didn't work out. Similar consistantcy between the two?

Yes, I've heard of Aquasoil, but it never occurred to me to mix the two. Are they pretty similar in consistancy?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Bigger grain size = move to the top
Smaller grain size = move to the bottom

Uprooting, replanting, moving substrate = substrate moving and mixing

If substrate are same in size, but different in colour, they will mix.
Think about the same-sized grain multi-colour gravel, they don't separate into different layers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode