Does ADA soil go bad over time? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does ADA soil go bad over time?

I have a planted 110g tank that placed around #125 a few years ago in the ADA contest. Its time to give the tank a complete facelift. I have vacuumed many times over the years and one good cleaning which took 8 hours.

I am going to take it all out and put in a trash can and really wash and clean.

My question is will it be brought back to live or does it go bad after a while. Its now about $400 worth of substrate. Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I recently talked to a local that told me his aqua soil is about 5+ years old. He's never changed it out, cleaned it, or had any problems. I would assume this is a safe generalization for AS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
from what i have heard using tap water will cause it to break down and can turn to mud pretty fast. i just set up a tank with it. ive had several tell me if using ro it can go for years. i think the main things that happen with it are it looses its buffering ability and it will turn to mud over time where the little balls just crumble.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mine is about 5 years old, I am on a waterwell so water changes are non chlorinated, It is holding together but I am going to do a complete redo and really wanted to no for sure if it is salvageable before I reuse it and come to find out that all my hard work was for nothing. Has any one specifically used ada for over 5 years?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Planted Member

ADA soil of 5yrs contain little nutrients to none. Washing it will be bad idea as it will breakdown. Either u just use as it is or top up new soil in top of the old ones.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
First of all, ADA Amazonia is made of clay. Clay does not "go bad" or deplete in minerals over time. It never will because it's clay and clay is made of minerals that have been compacted together. Amazonia is simply clay that has been formed into spheres and heated to high temperatures so that it retains its shape, like clay bricks. As long as there's still clay visible, there's still minerals, because that's what clay is.

Secondly, you shouldn't rinse out the old substrate since this will destroy the microbiome in the sediment which takes months to develop and find its niche. The substrate is an entire ecosystem on its own. It is not a Dupont carpet and shouldn't be treated like one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
You can always just do a complete rescape and just replace the soil altogether.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
ADA Amazonia is made of clay. Clay does not "go bad" or deplete in minerals over time... As long as there's still clay visible, there's still minerals
I'm curious how you know it still has nutrients? Just cause you can "see" clay doesn't mean it has nutrients. I first think of over farming and where you can see soil but that doesn't mean it still has nutrients or at least enough to provide for plants solely.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
I'm curious how you know it still has nutrients? Just cause you can "see" clay doesn't mean it has nutrients. I first think of over farming and where you can see soil but that doesn't mean it still has nutrients or at least enough to provide for plants solely.
Clay is made up of minerals. That's essentially the only thing that it's comprised of. Thus, when you look at clay, you are looking at nutrients. Nutrients can be minerals that plants use. Minerals are nutrients that plants use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode