Advice for charging/preparing SafeTSorb - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Advice for charging/preparing SafeTSorb

I just recently got a 40lb bag of SafeTSorb, and it will be a little while before I actually use it in a setup.

I've heard reports of it stripping the GH/KH out of the water due to the high CEC, and that a lot of people recommend preparing it with something to load it up and prevent this.

Just looking to see what people recommend. I can do this with plain tap water, old tank water, and I've got some dolomite I can stick in with an airstone.

I imagine almost anything will work if I just want to reduce the amount of hardness it strips out of the water, but I was thinking certain compounds might make it slightly more beneficial for plants.

For what it's worth, I plan on using it as the cap for a dirted substrate in a small low-tech paludarium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I didn't prep mine (other than rinsing) before I put it in tank. I think it took 1-2 weeks then the KH starting dropping. I started adding baking soda to keep it up otherwise the PH wouldn't stay stable.

You can soak it in ferts to "pre-charge" it. This thread I found:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=safe+sorb talks about adding coral sand or oyster shell grit to the substrate. I put some oyster shell grit in a nylon stocking & put it in the filter. It seemed easier to use baking soda though since I didn't know how much grit to use & could adjust my dose of baking soda easier. Oyster shell grit can be bought from Tractor Supply if you want to go that route & if that's where you're getting your SafeTsorb.

This thread is a long read but contains lots of useful info: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=safe+sorb

I know there's probably more threads talking about pre-charging it but I didn't find them in my quick search.

Maybe someone else will chime is with additional info.

edit: Just FYI .. I didn't use it as a cap.. just the STS by itself.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the response, I had actually read those threads back when they were active.

I don't really deal with ferts much, just low-tech dirted tanks, so if I'm going to charge the safeTsorb, I'll need to pick up some stuff.

I'm just trying to decide if the dolomite I have will be sufficient, or if I should try something with potassium or phosphate in it, or some other elements/ions.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but it's a relevant question for it. My tap water has a dKH of about 10 or 11. If I throughly rinse STS in it and let is sit and soak etc. Am I effectively reducing the impact it will have on lowering KH/PH overtime?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
STS will reach a point eventually in which it will stop stripping the water. It does not permanently strip the water but it takes a few weeks typically to stop. At that point, it will be just like any other substrate. This is why people pre-charge it so that the stripping/soaking up of nutrients or what ever, is done prior to setup. When I setup my 125g plant only growout, I laid down Osmocote all over the bottom glass for charging. Then I laid in my thoroughly rinsed STS and let in set in about 4-6 inches of tap water. After about 3-4 weeks, I made my plant order to populate my tank. I add dry fertilizers to this now as well as Osmocote in capsules for the heavier root feeders. I never tested my water so I have no idea what the parameters are. The plants hold up fine though. I can always adjust my fertilizers as necessary when I see deficiencies.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Older worthy thread IMO.
I am thinking of charging a batch of STS myself.
When done I will surely post comments.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode