Copper pieces in Eco Complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Copper pieces in Eco Complete?

At each of the last two water changes I found a small piece (about 1cm long) of copper (with green verdigris) in my Eco Complete substrate. Both were oddly shaped, so I don't think it was a piece of wire. Anyone else found copper in their Eco? The substrate went in about 2 months ago and I haven't done any kind of wiring over the tank, so I definitely think it came with the Eco. I don't think it would be enough to bother the plants with the size tank I have and weekly water changes, but still an odd find.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I have never seen it in mine. Its possible i guess though since I believe eco is just mined out of the earth.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (102/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mistern2005
I have not noticed that with mine....and I picked though a lot of Eco Complete this past weekend.

=======================================
L046 (Zebra Plecos) 3M/2F + Juveniles
L144 (SF Blue Red Eye BN Plecos) Juveniles
L134 (Leopard Frog Plecos) 1M/1F

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It was pretty obvious - the bright green of oxidized copper sure sticks out against the black Eco. Maybe I just got a bag that caught a few scraps from somewhere. If the price of copper keeps going up, maybe I'll mine my tank and sell the copper . . .

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Woah, seriously?

Makes me want to drag a magnet through my eco just to check. Huh... You have snails or shrimp alive in your tanks Kevin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I moved some snails with me, and a few survived (MTS). Not sure if they are still around - haven't seen them lately. I'll have to look a little more closely. No shrimp though.

Each piece was less than half an inch long and less than 1/8" in any other direction, so it really wasn't that much copper spread across a 72 gallon tank.

Kevin

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The little copper pieces may be brass staples or clips. But I wouldn't be able to say without seeing them. It's possible they are from packaging when the Eco was all shipped either on a pallet or in crate boxes. They may have poked through into a bag or two. Just a thought.

Also, just so you know, JenThePlantGeek the little copper pieces would be non-magnetic so if they're there you'll have to dig to find them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I, too, have noticed little "slivers" of some kind of metal in my eco-complete. It appears to be aluminum, in my case, anyway. I always pick them out as I see them. And truly, I've only ever spotted 2 of these slivers so far, after only 6 months or so, so I doubt it's a big deal. I've never really thought much of it, but since you made this thread, I thought I'd chime in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode