Will using white Sand....? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Will using white Sand....?

I do not have a total understanding off all the different things that go on in an planted aquirium, but here is my question.

Will using white sand as a small part of my hardscape, promote diatom growth?

I think I read on a post here that the silicate in sand promotes diatom growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
This has been debated a lot. I would say they wouldn't add silicates https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...king-sand.html

However, some people complain that the white sand gets dirty with detritus etc., so it has to be cleaned often or it looks bad.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
diatoms are not the only thing to worry about, white sand (or at least those that i've come accross) reflects alot of light. making it a perfect palce for other types of algae to grow.

and yes like mpodolan said, they do get dirty very quickly and have to be cleaned regularly.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridescencet View Post
diatoms are not the only thing to worry about, white sand (or at least those that i've come accross) reflects alot of light. making it a perfect palce for other types of algae to grow.

and yes like mpodolan said, they do get dirty very quickly and have to be cleaned regularly.
That is true, but if such sand were to be used in a low-tech tank, with low light levels, a good algae cleaning crew and attention to things to keep algae in check such as packing the tank with plants and providing the bare minimal fertilization(not to mention regular use of excel) required, it should not be too much of an issue, unless your tank got over-run with Cynobacteria, which would really show on the sand.

However as others have stated it does get dirty quite quickly and if you were to try it on a low maintenance tank, this may become a bigger issue given that water changes/siphoning would be very minimal, so increased waste on the sand would show more.

Also keep in mind that sand with less than 1 MM grain size is not recommended by some as it may compact over time and cause your plant roots to rot. However, many people have successfully used pool filter sand with a grain size .45 to .55 MM to grow plants. However, some have reported that there filter impeller life was shortened using sand give that sand can get sucked up into the impeller from the filter inlet as it takes longer to settle when fish stir it up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I've never experienced excessive diatoms aside from new tank diatoms in my play sand tanks, no other excessive algae in comparison to other substrates either. It does need cleaning if you're keeping it exposed. The lower sand bed against the glass is not a pretty thing as seen below, stirring can help though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode