Is there a way to get the darn Flourite dust off my plants?!?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is there a way to get the darn Flourite dust off my plants?!?!

Everything in my tank is perfect... except for the dust that is on my plants!

I brush it off of my plants a couple of times a day hoping that the filters will pick it up and get it out of there, but it still manages to settle on the leaves of my plants, mostly the moneywart and anacharis. And they are right over by the filter intakes!!! It is also on a my other plants, but not as much as those two...

It is driving me absolutely crazy. I know I've got great circulation in there because I can see things being pushed around in the currents. (Mainly my SAE's who think it's fun to swim into the current and let it take them around the tank!)

What gives?? Is there going to be this brown yucky dust all over my poor plants forever? I can't imagine they're getting the best light possible with that stuff on them...

Thankfully there's no more dust cloud everytime I move the substrate, just the dust on plants issue. Anybody found a good way to get the dust off of plants forever??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
reduce the flow rate. circulation is important, but too much will stir up dust.

your SAE's should move this dust off as they swim about. then it'll settle in the substrate where it should stay there.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
The last time I used Flourite I basically dumped a bag without of washing. With with the help of some Otto's, a SAE & polishing filter in my HOB filter it took about 3~4 weeks for all the tiny particles to fully go away. During this time I was at full flow so that the tiny particles would get displaced plus get more suction from the filter. I didn't want the tiny particles to settle because it gets displaced very easily with any slight movement. It will take time but this is what worked for me then. You can expect to get a cloud when you move substrate around after and will get some stuff on the leaves but nothing like what you are experiencing now and clears up within hours depending on flow/filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode