Onyx sand? Flourite? Flourite Red!? Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Onyx sand? Flourite? Flourite Red!? Help!

hi all,

i just recieved two 24"x18"x18" AGA from my friend. was thinking of setting up another 2 planted aquarias in addition to my present 190l and 50l planted.

I've been using AS amazonia and africana, might even try malaya and amazonia 2 together. But the onyx sand and flourite from seachem at my LFS kinda caught my attention too.

has anyone used onyx sand or flourite from seachem before? whats it like and how do i get the best out of it?

i read the seachem website and it says they are best used alone. is this true?

information please! thank you =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Onyx = inert. It's nice, but doesn't have any supplemental nutrients to help your plants grow.

Flourite...the regular Flourite (not black) is OK in my opinion. I don't much like the color and the grain size is a tad too large for my tastes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Onyx has somewhat high calcium (bicarbonate) and magnesium levels. It will buffer the water some.

Onyx and Gray Coast Calcite are the exact same product, but they're packaged differently. Someone at Seachem told me this. The GCC is usually cheaper in my area and it comes in a 10 kg bag vs. a 7 kg bag for the Onyx. You can compare the elemental contents of each and see that they are practically the same.

Concentration of nutrients in Onyx Sand™
Aluminum 822
Barium 5
Calcium 197500
Cobalt 4
Chromium 10
Copper 4
Iron 2846
Potassium 417
Magnesium 115400
Manganese 43
Sodium 135
Nickel 7
Vanadium 8
Zinc 23

Units=mg/kg, source: Plasma Emission Spectrometer, EPA Method 3050, Univ. of Georgia Chemical Analysis Lab

Elemental Concentrations in Gray Coast™
Calcium 197,500
Cobalt 4
Iron 2876
Potassium 417
Magnesium 115400
Manganese 43
Molybdenum 6
Strontium 63
Vanadium 7
Zinc 23

Units=ppm, source: Plasma Emission Spectrometer, EPA Method 3050, Univ. of Georgia Chemical Analysis Lab

Onyx: http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...yx%20Sand.html
Gray Coast Calcite: http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...GrayCoast.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you really like the Flourite series, go with Flourite Black, that will give you a good contrast. Flourite Black Sand is the same except it is finner grain. Both are good substrates.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

hmm. thanks for the input! so im assuming that if i use flourite or onyx. i could use it as the only substrate without adding another nutrient base?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
No, you will still need to dose fertilizers in the water column with any commercial substrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridescencet View Post
hmm. thanks for the input! so im assuming that if i use flourite or onyx. i could use it as the only substrate without adding another nutrient base?

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode