Substrate? (overwhelmed newbie here...) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Substrate? (overwhelmed newbie here...)

I've been trying to sift through all of the info on this forum and I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed as I'm new to the planted tank thing. Any help you can offer would be so awesome... Here's my situation:
I'm setting up a little 5 gallon tank that I'm planning on planting but keeping very low tech. I only have 11 watts of CF lighting over it so it'll be low light, low tech though I will dose with the Flourish line of ferts (NPK, Iron, traces) and Excel (since I already have them for my other tank). The plants I'm planning on having are probably a couple of different anubias species, java fern, some mosses, plus maybe one or two swords or crpyts.

I'm trying to figure out what substrate to use. I like the look of the SMS and Aquasoil, but I'm wondering if it's practical since the plants I want aren't really root feeders (well, other than the crypts or swords and I can always supplement with root tabs if I use inert substrate). If it will help the plants grow better I'm more than willing to use the best substrate I can get. Will it make a difference if I use a plant substrate? I really want a dark substrate - if I don't go with a plant substrate any suggestions for an inert dark substrate that is fine-grained like that?

Any advice from all of you experienced plant gurus out there would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
The main reason that you want to use plant substrate for these plants is so their roots can take a good hold in the substrate. I've found that they dont attach themselves to the stone type substrate but readily do so with the clay based ones.
If you want a dark substrate SMS charcoal is going to be your best bet. And really look at it like this.
you can go to Petho and pick up a 15LB bag of gravel for 15 bucks. OR you can take your 15 bucks to Lesco and buy a 50 lb bag of SMS. for me thats an easy decision. Even in non planted tanks I use planted substrate. honestly it just looks better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6Gal Nano Journal

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
one or two swords? swords grow over 24 inches. I dont think you want a sword.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah I know, I was thinking maybe micro swords for a sort of grassy effect to contrast with the mosses and the larger leafed anubias.

So then I guess I've decided to go with the planted substrate. Is there anywhere to get smaller amounts of SMS than the 50 pound bags? I'm doubting that I'll use even a third of it for my little 5 gallon tank (it's really a matter of not having anywhere to store whatever I don't use). In any case I'll have to find out if the Lesco store nearest me has any in stock...

Thanks again for all the help!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencheung View Post
Yeah I know, I was thinking maybe micro swords for a sort of grassy effect to contrast with the mosses and the larger leafed anubias.

So then I guess I've decided to go with the planted substrate. Is there anywhere to get smaller amounts of SMS than the 50 pound bags? I'm doubting that I'll use even a third of it for my little 5 gallon tank (it's really a matter of not having anywhere to store whatever I don't use). In any case I'll have to find out if the Lesco store nearest me has any in stock...

Thanks again for all the help!
Sadly no. 50lb is the smallest they come in. (actually I think they are 40lb bags) Your best bet is to see if anyone else in your area might wanna go halves with you on it. I'd do it If I was in your area. we can't seem to get SMS over here in wa.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode