Preventing under sand fertilizer from mixing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Preventing under sand fertilizer from mixing

I am upgrading my 50g planted discus tank to a 175g.

I've always used gravel as substrate, but i like the look of sand. It also brings out the best colors in discus.

I am planning to use all sand bottom with fertilizer under it. I am a bit concerned that sand will mix with fertilizer over time. My question is, would it be a good idea to put some kind of mesh (mosquito net) over fertilizer (powersand or peat) and then pour sand on top? The only downside i see is that plant roots would get entangled in the mesh making it hard to replant, but i usually keep my layouts for the life of tank.

Anybody with similar experience, pls chime in.

thanks in advance

P.S. My first post, i think it is a very helpful forum full of knowledgeable and nice people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you do that, be sure to post. It would be facinating to see how that turns out.

But generally speaking, in any situation where you pour sand right on top of anything - it's gonna mix. And assuming your other substrate is larger in grain size, the larger stuff is going to find it's way on top of the sand. We all know what happens when we shake a bag of popcorn - the big pieces come to the top. Same here, over time.

But in your case you are talking about placing a barrier between the layers - that could be very interesting, and yield a far better result.

If you can't get advice on a barrier - and don't decide to try it anyway - you might think about shallow pots. If you make your sand deep, you can cover the pot. Works for me anyway.

Good luck.

PS - Welcome to Planted Tank!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Steve,

thanks a lot for your reply. Its beautiful discus tanks like yours that want me go the sand route.

There must somebody on this forum who tried this approach. Like you said bigger pieces would find its way on top, but peat or powersand is big enough that it won't make its way through mesh. In theory it should work, I am just trying to confirm it with somebody who actually did something similar.

I am taking a no-rush approach with setting up my next tank and I want to make sure i dont do anything i would regret in the future.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode