Pond Sand******I think its Silt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Sowilu Send a message via Yahoo to Sowilu
Question Pond Sand******I think its Silt

Can I use pond sand in my 16g fish tank? The pond is an 8 acre pond that has fish in it. It does not connect to a body of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sowilu; 09-25-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
yeah, but i'd boil it (???) or maybe soak it in alcohol or vinegar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok then I will be using that than. Should I mix it with flourite?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
It depends if your going to go plants(which I bet you are lol). I would say go more lowtech and add plants like ferns and mosses

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I'd avoid it.

If you use it, boiling is a must to kill parasites and nasties that will live in the pond. But I wouldn't do it anyway-
Sand itself contains no nutrition for your plants.
It will be filthy and you're going to have to rinse FOREVER if you want to see through your aquarium water. Between the rinsing and the boiling it will be useless to your plants once you get it in the tank.

If you wanted to do it as an experiment, to see how much work is involved, or if it may work, then go for it. If you want to set up a planted tank you can enjoy, then don't do it. For goodness sake, don't.

The plural of anecdote is not data
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus View Post
I'd avoid it.

If you use it, boiling is a must to kill parasites and nasties that will live in the pond. But I wouldn't do it anyway-
Sand itself contains no nutrition for your plants.
It will be filthy and you're going to have to rinse FOREVER if you want to see through your aquarium water. Between the rinsing and the boiling it will be useless to your plants once you get it in the tank.

If you wanted to do it as an experiment, to see how much work is involved, or if it may work, then go for it. If you want to set up a planted tank you can enjoy, then don't do it. For goodness sake, don't.
Agreed to a certain degree. Sand is just somehng it takes time getting use to. And there are many great planted tanks that only have sand. And they contain alot of heavy root feeders(crypts and swords).

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does it even matter how far down the pond I go? As you get deeper into the pond its not just sand but mud (looks like it???). I was hopeing of atleast getting around 5lb and then just adding maybe flourite or eco-complete.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Iff that is your intent just do a complete tank of either flourite or eco. Sand mixed with it will not look right and will eventually just settle on the bottom.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I was hopeing to just use the sand but as they said above that it won't be enough nutriets for the plants. I might just use the sand though since I will be dosing the plants. I will give it a try and see how everything goes.

Hopefully it will go aswell as my 29g fish tank that only has tahitian moon sand and I dose every three or so days.

Last edited by Sowilu; 09-17-2007 at 02:24 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got the sand yesterday, do I just need to boil it? It comes with a lot of shells and small pieces of wood and such I will be removing those before I boil it.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Has anybody done this before? I really need to do this today!

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I've never boiled sand, but I'd boil it for quite a while to make sure all the critters in there are dead. You also really need to concentrate on rinsing it. Yes, it's gonna take a while, but you'll thank yourself after it's clean. Your tank water, even after rinsing the sand, is going to be cloudy for a day or two. I think pond sand is a pretty neat idea myself. Plants will absorb nutrients from the water column if they are not available ( I believe it was either Rex or Tom Barr that concluded that they actually prefer this method of absorption ) from the substrate. I use sand in my tanks, and it does take some getting used to, but I think it is well worth it in the end. Maybe some overpriced ADA Aquasoil would grow plants faster, but if you dose your water column properly you will get very nice growth and I think you'll be happy in the end.

Now, my idea to clean the sand:
1. Get a big pot, add water, boil, and add a smallish portion of sand.
2. Maybe boil it for 10 minutes a pot.
3. Take the pot outside, dump the water, letting the really fine grains of sand go out with the water.
4. You may want to invest in some sort of strainer to separate the shells, wood, and sand from one another.
5. In a five gallon bucket, or whatever is about that size and convenient, add pre boiled, de-wooded, de-shelled sand and fill it about 3/4 full with water from a hose pipe or bath tub. You probably want to go with the hose pipe. Use your hand, mix the sand around really quickly so that all of the sand is in solution with the water. Do this for maybe 30 seconds, then dump the water, letting the really fine grains of sand go out with the water.
6. Once the water coming out of the bucket is clear you can add the sand to your tank.
7. Repeat with more sand.

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

One question about this method: any pot will do? LOL I don't want to mess up my mom's pot.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Don't mean to be nasty and I'm just curious but if you're not going to listen to the advice given about should I use it or not, then why did you bother to start the thread?
________
Vaporizer Volcano

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:41 PM.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't understand your question......

I am going to use the sand following the instructions given to me by eyebeatbadger if that is what you mean.?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode