Is Oil-Dry and SMS the same? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is Oil-Dry and SMS the same?

Did I make a big mistake here? I ordered the SMS, have it in my tanks but now looking at the bag I am worried. It only says Oil-Dry.........not Soil Master Select.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Oil-Dri is the parent company of SMS

50 Gal - Eheim 2217 - 108 watts T5HO - Oil-Dri - Pressurized CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Really? I thought Lesco made SMS?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Ah, you're right. Oil-Dri has a subdivision called Pro's-Choice which makes SMS.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I found out the same thing. Pro Choice is made by Oil-Dri. I think Lesco is just the distributor.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Lesco is merely ONE distributor.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Oil -dry the product and SMS are not one and the same. They are indeed both made by the parent company Oil-Dry however the grain size and color are very different. Oil dry is more of a dark tan/brown and has larger grains. SMS mych finer grains and charcoal.
I picked up a bag today only to be dissapointed by the difference. I can't mix the oildry product with the sms I already have. So my search for a local distributor of either SMS C or Turface Prochoice Grey continues.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Anyone ever use the kitty litter stuff as a possible substrate?
Since the subject is oil-dry, thought it might be a usable item?

Maximo
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMaximo View Post
Anyone ever use the kitty litter stuff as a possible substrate?
Since the subject is oil-dry, thought it might be a usable item?

Maximo
you just have to be carefull with kitty litter. alot of times they add chems to control odors. As well kitty litter in one are might be different from that in another.
personally I would stay away from kitty litter.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 03:49 PM

I use the stuff on the garage floor most the time.....always used the regular stuff with no addins........just popped into my mind reading this post.......
When I was first getting into the marine bio scene, I would use lawn dirt and a mix of lake peat for some of my out door tanks. I never really worried about all the microb problems you have with indoor sterile tanks. I figured the fish in the lake do just well enough on their own with natures best, so a mind set of eco duplication was always my first step in the program.
Funny thing, my bio instructors always claimed it wouldn't work, I offered up a different case every week, especially growing up in Florida and living on lakes most my life. My greatest fear was a bird swooping down into one of the tanks and getting caught up in the screen while trying to get a free meal.

Maximo
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I used kitty litter in my tank's first incarnation. The Wally World "Special Kitty" regular kitty litter. Basically just granulated clay. Seemed to do the job fine, grew some awesome roots on the plants and had great growth. What I didn't like about it was every time I pulled something up I'd get a puff of KL into the water column, I also didn't like the color. But in a pinch, setting up an extra tank or whatever, or something which you really don't intend to keep set up for a long time, I think it's a good make-do solution. Also, like Blacksunshine said, it will vary region to region. It doesn't all come from the same pit.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

How do you tell the difference?

I think I have been had! I went and picked up what I thought was Soil Master Select, but after examining the bag at home. No where does it say soil master select, it says oil-dri, which i know makes sms, but it is clay, and not charcoal! according to the bag.

Had to remove my sig....bummer
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

now i am really confused, went to lesco's web site, check it out. the title says charcoal, but the material says clay!

083365 - PRO'S CHOICE SOILMASTER SELECT (CHARCOAL) 50#
Category: Seed
Group: Mulch
Type: Soil Amendment
Form: Clay
Packaging: Packaged
Size: 50 Lbs.
Brand: Other
UOM: BAG
Weight: 50LB

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
SMS is clay, Charcoal is merely the color. However, with that info, I can't tell you whether you have Oil-Dry or SMS, as I've never seen a bag of either.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEndingNinja View Post
SMS is clay, Charcoal is merely the color. However, with that info, I can't tell you whether you have Oil-Dry or SMS, as I've never seen a bag of either.
The bag is grayish white with green lettering, charcoal is stamped on it. Says Oil Dri ground clay, but no where on it does it say SMS.

I called a distributor in Cali (the ones in michigan are closed) and she said that is what they have for their SMS, so it seems I have gotten the right thing. I am still kind of iffy though....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode