New to planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks

I am planning on setting up a planted fresh tank. My freshwater experience is limited. I have five years in saltwater(55,75, 180, 210, 500 in the works). I have read that freshwater is easier than salt, so I believe I am ready to dive in. I have a 30 gallon long tank that I used to use as a sump, using some old power compacts from a nem tank before the halide upgrade. I am planning on settin this up as a planted freshwater with tetras and a couple of rams and maybe a pleco after a few months. I was planning on using pea gravel for substrate but I would like ya'lls opinions as ya'll know much more than me on this issue. If pea gravel is a no go what would you recommend(money is no issue, girlfriend wants it bad).
Thanks,
Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

Substate in a planted tank should be carfully considered when starting up. Often folks go with a cheap option only to later find out it was a mistake (me included).

Forget the pea gravel and go with a nutrient rich, specialized aquatic substrate. Your options come down to the 3 more popular choices:

- Flourite
- Eco-Complete
- ADA aquasoil

Do a little reseach on those 3 to find what suits you better. But i can tell you, right off the bat, ADA aquasoil seems to be the way to go. Once settled the results pretty much speak for themselves.

Good luck and welcome to the world of planted tanks!

JP
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. As you can see, I am a new member of the forum, but by far, not new to the hobby of raising fish. Salt tanks are by far a great way to enjoy aquatic life. Fresh water tanks were mostly part of a marine hobbiest collection, due to the need of raising feeder fish.
Fresh water tanks can be a real challenge compaired to marine tanks. But both environments are of equal needs to be happy with the results. I like to experiment with different styles in my tanks, so I would be concidered as an extreamist in not going by the same route as many have followed in this hobby. So, welcome to the forum, do some reaserch, after reading this forum post for more then a few months, it is a really good place to hang out and some interesting hobbiest to learn from as well.

Maximo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode