Which Substrate and any other stuff? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which Substrate and any other stuff?

Hello,

I am new to this forum as a member but have been reading many threads for months. I starting a new 90 gal Planted Discus tank and was looking for some opinois. One of the things I can't deicied is what substrate to use either Eco or SMS? I was also looking at ADA Aquasoil but the shipping would be quite high. The LFS is giving me a real good deal on the ECO so it is really which one poeple think perfroms better. I have been use ECO in my 55 Gal planted Discus tank for a year and have been very happy with it. I'm also looking at doing injected CO2 and have contacted Rex on building a regulator. My question for this is, I would like to use it for both tank (DIY with the 55 for now) but how far is to far to have the tanks apart and still use one regulator. Many more question to ask but this will help me start for now. This Tank I'm building now so I would like to do it right.

Thanks

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The only problem with Eco is that some batches are contaminated and can cause problems with water chemistry.

You can have your tanks as far apart as you want in a normal house. The secret is having a in-line needle valve for any tanks more than about 5-6 feet from the regulator. That allows you to run higher pressure CO2 to very close to the tank. And since all the Clippard barbs and tubing are rated for at least 100 psi it's not a problem. And using a high quality needle valve allows you to not have problems getting a decent bubble rate with a higher working pressure.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Rex,

I'll contact you off line on what you think I should use. They are probably 20ft a part keeping the tank and reg near the 90 cause I have more room. I haven't hear of any thing before about bad eco but thanks for that info. I like eco but in some since would like to maybe try somthing new and give it a try. That is why I was thinking about the SMS plus I have a Lesco in my area. Anyone else please feel free to add input.

Tim

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
Ive used eco, flourite, pool sand, tahitian moon sand, and now have 100 lbs of washed sms charcoal in some tubs. My vote for looks goes for the SMS.

It grows plants from what I have heard / read. Plus its VERY cheap in comparison. I paid $22 for 100 lbs and got a half bag of red for free! (it was torn open)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)
Have used SMS in a low tech 125 Gal w/ great results...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm going to buy a bag of SMS and take a look at it and see if I like it. If I don't, no big deal I've spent money on of things and never used them. This wouldn't be the first time.
Thanks again.
Tim
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingnerd607 View Post
and now have 100 lbs of washed sms charcoal in some tubs. My vote for looks goes for the SMS.
Pardon my ignorance but what is this product? I like the price...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Soilmaster Select in charcoal color.

Some people will tell you that Lesco makes it. They are incorrect. Oil-Dri makes it. Lesco is just one of MANY distributors in the US.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Another similar product for those that don't have a lesco or a SM distributor near by is Turface Pro League Grey. basically the same stuff. I think Profile is the actual distributor for SMS as well. Its just packaged differently for lesco.
i may be wrong but they are essentially the same so it doesn't really matter.

IMO SMS or like product blows all the others out of the water. ECO is a huge waste of money IMO. most of what you are paying for when you buy a bag is the waterweight. I will NEVER pay another cent on Eco. the last bag I bought barely covered my 6 gal tank. for 5 bucks less a 50lb bag of sms would cover 10X that much area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6Gal Nano Journal

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oil-Dri packages SMS the same for everyone.

Profile is a totally different product.

And if one merely calls Oil-Dri they are more than happy to tell you your closest distributor.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am a relatively newbie to planted tanks, and just started my 55 with red Soilmaster select. (Previously I had a 29 gallon with gravel.) So far things have worked out great.

The inhabitants of the aquarium have been existing more natual behavior with SMS. For example with SMS, the two snails I have bury themselves when they go into resting mode. In my gravel tank they would only climb to top of the tank.

There are many posts about it being a pain to rinse. I rinished it a couple of times in a large plastic tub and then added it to the tank. The water was cloudy for about a day and cleared up.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
Oil-Dri packages SMS the same for everyone.

Profile is a totally different product.

And if one merely calls Oil-Dri they are more than happy to tell you your closest distributor.
Profile is the conpany. Turface Pro league is the product. I have a sample of it and some SMS. they look identical. But I guess looks aren't everything. Tho both PL and SMS are used for the exact same purpose on the ball field.

I will have to try and get a one of those content listings and compare to the SMS one that was posted up around here a while back.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode