just added sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just added some sand to my tank...i tested it first in some other water to see if it had any effects on my pH but it didnt seem to alter anything...now im waiting for it to settle.....and waiting...waiting...its taking forever. Ill keep you posted, and if the stuff works well, ill tell you what i used...if its a disaster, ill just tell you it didnt work and not mention the kind so i dont feel like a complete loser.any hints on keeping it settled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
You went to the beach?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LOL...no...this is store bought sand, cleaned, washed, quality sand

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay, so the fish are still doing well, in fact seem to love the new bottom...now my only difficulty is unclouding the water....it wont go away...can only see maybe an inch in to the tank. should i run the filter, or let it settle stagnant?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Depends on the filter... if it has some kind of micro/floss/stuff, it should be able to clear it up. There are also flocculants that you could try, which coagulate the tiny particles so they can be filtered out quicker.
If you cleaned and washed it well, this shouldn't happen :mrgreen:
Perhaps you have to look at your filter outflow, if it is directed at the substrate surface, it might keep it afloat...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, i wasnt sure about washing the sand first...I actually wound up pulling the tank entirely, replanting everything, thourougly washing the substrate, and then getting an additive that supposedly helps clear the water....now everything is doing well. I used Whitney farms washed sand...only problem was the grain may have been a little too small...out of 6 pounds i think i have about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs left. which is also why i couldnot get it out of suspension. I do have the filter style you mentioned, and it did indeed filter out quite a bit of the sand. I have very little surface agitation, but theres still plenty of flow. so it may have been counter productive. the filter is a topfin 30....its a 10 gallon tank - substrate sand and flourite, anacharis, creeping jenny, anubias, and two im unsure of my GF brought home from petco...but they are doing well.(one resembles amazon swords). one pleco, one betta, one female betta, and soon a german ram. pH is about 6.8.....the ram is sort of a gamble, but hopefully works out. eventually he will be relocated to my 25 gallon long, once its finished being setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode