Will Flourite prevent the quick returning of fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm just about to remove the the fish and plants from my 140L tropical tank so that I can remove the UGF system and give the gravel a good clean. I will temporarily be housing the fish and plants in 2 large containers for a maximum of 24-48 hours.

I intend to mix a new substrate in with the gravel when I'm setting the tank back up and have been considering Seachem's Flourite. If I were to mix this 50:50 or 75:25 (Flourite:gravel), would this prevent me from returning the fish within the above timeframe? Or can I return them safely after a 24 hour settling down period?

The new setup will be filtered by 2 mature external powerfilters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Flourite throws a total and complete hissy fit if you put fish in the tank before it has settled in for at least a week. {tongue in cheek mode deactivated}

As long as you rinse the Flourite well and fill the tank carefully and don't stir up a lot of dust you will be fine. Make sure to rinse the Flourite as the first step in the process. Also if I were you I would scoop out the gravel, remove the UGF and then put it right back in. All the stuff in the gravel is good for plants.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Flourite throws a total and complete hissy fit if you put fish in the tank before it has settled in for at least a week. {tongue in cheek mode deactivated}

As long as you rinse the Flourite well and fill the tank carefully and don't stir up a lot of dust you will be fine. Make sure to rinse the Flourite as the first step in the process. Also if I were you I would scoop out the gravel, remove the UGF and then put it right back in. All the stuff in the gravel is good for plants.
I was planning on either mixing the Flourite and gravel together and then adding it to the tank or putting a Flourite layer on the bottom of the tank and then laying the gravel on top.

I was under the impression that the latter would prevent a lot of small Flourite particles becoming suspended in the water and would keep the Flourite under the gravel where the plant roots would be?

I plan to rinse the Flourite thouroughly first but it's impossible to get rid of all the small particles...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Welcome to the board njparton! Our UK membership is really starting to take off. We are glad you are part of it!

Flourite alone can be used as a substrate. There is no need to layer it. It is nothing like laterite. If you intend on mixing it with your existing gravel, consider Rex's suggestion. Scoop out the gravel, pull out the UGF and then put in back old substrate with the addidtion of the Flourite. You would like to minimize the loss of the plant nutrient rich fish mulm that has built up in your existing substrate.

Give the Flourite a good rinsing. A good rinsing. Just when you think you are done rinsing it, rinse it again!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm going to disgorge here, please feel free to critique or add to as you may see fit, anyone.

About rinsing Flourite: I use a paint strainer bag from the Borg. I fill the strainer bag, rinse for a minute or two in a 5-gallon bucket. Never had real isses with it. I did this two weeks ago and added an entire bag of Flourite over Profile in an existing tank without removing fish or plants. I added it by handfuls after rinsing, did some minor rearrangement of the plants and finished with a 50% water change.

A shot of the bag:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/download.php?id=321

I'll be doing this for Onyx sand most likely tonight if I get down to the Petshmart today. Everyone has some good ideas about handling the dust in Flourite. Here's what I would do if I were you:
-rinse the Flourite
-drain the tank into the keeper containers
-place fish and plants in containers
-drain the entire tank, get all the water out possible
-remove the UGF
-add as much Flourite as you want to mix into the gravel and mix it. If you want, it might work a little better to cap with some Flourite after mixing.
-gently refill to the level you like best for replanting and replant
-top the tank up with water. Entire process to this point might take two hours, depending on what and how much you have to plant.
-add fish whenever you like. If done right, they should be back in within a few hours.

James
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I did exactly what you are planning to do (or may have done already) about a year ago.

I just took out all the stuff in my tank (except for the fish), drained 1/2 the water, took out about 1/2 the existing gravel, slid out the UGF and put two bags of well washed fluorite over top.

I kept the plants in buckets for a 1.5 days until thing cleared up enough so I could see the back of the tank. I jammed my filter with filter floss and that really sped up the clearing up time.

I think I lost 3 fish in the process.. zebra danios that were a part of the original cycle (fish only tank).

The gravel/flourite tends to get pretty mixed up over time if you replant a lot (re planted 2 swords and it is completely turned over). Pretty easy process though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Welcome to the board njparton! Our UK membership is really starting to take off. We are glad you are part of it!

Flourite alone can be used as a substrate. There is no need to layer it. It is nothing like laterite. If you intend on mixing it with your existing gravel, consider Rex's suggestion. Scoop out the gravel, pull out the UGF and then put in back old substrate with the addidtion of the Flourite. You would like to minimize the loss of the plant nutrient rich fish mulm that has built up in your existing substrate.

Give the Flourite a good rinsing. A good rinsing. Just when you think you are done rinsing it, rinse it again!

Mike
Thanks for the welcome and for this excellent forum

I can't really afford 100% Flourite to the desired depth so I intend to use 50-75% Flourite mixed with standard rounded gravel. Flourite retails for around 22/bag over here and I reckon I'd need 3 for a 100% Flourite substrate (that's around $100US!!).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
I'm going to disgorge here, please feel free to critique or add to as you may see fit, anyone.

About rinsing Flourite: I use a paint strainer bag from the Borg. I fill the strainer bag, rinse for a minute or two in a 5-gallon bucket. Never had real isses with it. I did this two weeks ago and added an entire bag of Flourite over Profile in an existing tank without removing fish or plants. I added it by handfuls after rinsing, did some minor rearrangement of the plants and finished with a 50% water change.

A shot of the bag:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/download.php?id=321

I'll be doing this for Onyx sand most likely tonight if I get down to the Petshmart today. Everyone has some good ideas about handling the dust in Flourite. Here's what I would do if I were you:
-rinse the Flourite
-drain the tank into the keeper containers
-place fish and plants in containers
-drain the entire tank, get all the water out possible
-remove the UGF
-add as much Flourite as you want to mix into the gravel and mix it. If you want, it might work a little better to cap with some Flourite after mixing.
-gently refill to the level you like best for replanting and replant
-top the tank up with water. Entire process to this point might take two hours, depending on what and how much you have to plant.
-add fish whenever you like. If done right, they should be back in within a few hours.
Many thanks - I just hope I get minimal water all over my floor! :roll:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinlo
I did exactly what you are planning to do (or may have done already) about a year ago.

I just took out all the stuff in my tank (except for the fish), drained 1/2 the water, took out about 1/2 the existing gravel, slid out the UGF and put two bags of well washed fluorite over top.

I kept the plants in buckets for a 1.5 days until thing cleared up enough so I could see the back of the tank. I jammed my filter with filter floss and that really sped up the clearing up time.

I think I lost 3 fish in the process.. zebra danios that were a part of the original cycle (fish only tank).

The gravel/flourite tends to get pretty mixed up over time if you replant a lot (re planted 2 swords and it is completely turned over). Pretty easy process though.
I have 4 Zebra Danios and was under the impression they were very hardy fish?

I hope I don't loose my Clown Loaches in that case!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
They are troopers, I still have 4 left.. from the inital cycle, then the substrate redo.. they keep truckin.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinlo
They are troopers, I still have 4 left.. from the inital cycle, then the substrate redo.. they keep truckin.
It's surprising really as they're never still :lol:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Except when they go belly up..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by njparton
Many thanks - I just hope I get minimal water all over my floor! :roll:
I don't approach my tanks without a towel. Or three.
/looks around to see where the wife is

:lol:

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode