Do I have enough fertilized substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I recently converted my 29 gallon tank to a 75 gallon and was curious if I have enough fertilized substrate:

I transferred the gravel from my 29 gallon which has been running for over a year. I don't remember how many lbs of gravel this is (about a 2.5-3" layer for a 29). Laterite was added to this gravel upon setup of the 29 (pack for 20gals from Aquarium Pharmeceuticals). I then added one 15lb bag of SeaChem Flourite and then an additional 20lbs of plain gravel.
I then tranferred and planted 10 mangroves and 3 Crypt ciliatas. I also have java moss and fern growing epiphytically on driftwood. I received my shipment of crypts yesterday from mailorder and planted them-6 Crypt cordatas and 2 Crypt griffithii. The new crypts look like they are going through the shock period as of this morning, so I hope they will recover soon and put up new leaves.

I just wanted to make sure that I do not need to add additional fertilizer like flourish tabs. I have seven fish currently in the tank and feed them twice a day with flake food. Gravel depth in the 75 is about 3".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 08:28 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi robitreef,

Crypts can go through a period of adjustment and can look pretty sad for a small spell but they will come around. I had one do a complete melt down, I shrugged my shoulders in digust and never touched it, well wouldnt ya know it sprouted a couple leaves Crypts are funny that way, some never miss a beat and some...well... they just hate being messed with... :roll:
You have to just watch the plants to see if they need some more nutrients, there is no way to "test" the substrate other then with our eyes. I will say though that the crypts are heavy root feeders so if they seem to be stalling in growth or show weak growth then I would definately add some tabs. The laterite should do the trick but if you have stronger lighting on this tank it will put a larger demand on the nutrients and you may have to add some tabs, its all up to them... they will let ya know
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can also landscape so that there is more substrate where there will be plants. So You can skimp on the gravel under driftwood and so forth..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode