Silly-ca Sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 70g tank at home I had setup a few months back, been thru some algae blooms, one really bad, that eventually died off. I mechanically removed most of it, not sure what flavor it was it was very dark green and I could peel it off in sheets, mostly off the sand itself. Now I am getting some algae mostly on the glass brown/green 'mormal' looking algae, probably due to not having enough plants in the tank. Any thoughts on the silica sand, I wasn't really thinking of doing plants until after I had it setup, and would rather not start over completely again. Can I augment the substrate eaisly or should I really start over with a layered substrate and just run the sand up top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:53 PM

As long as you have nutrients in the substrate it dont really matter. I believe that sand, or actually any fine grained substrate is good for root systems mainly due to root contact with the nutrients. The only problem with sand is that it has "0" nutrients and they need to be added.
You dont have to start over but be sure to supply the plants with food if they are of that nature...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
you cant really just run the sand on top, because it will just settle to the bottom....they make under substrate fertilizer sticks, to place under the plants root systems. They supposedly work pretty well, and can last for quite sometime.
-zach-

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Any recommendations on 'spikes'

One website points out 'Jobe's Plant Food Spikes for Lush Ferns and Palms' due to low phophates and urea.

Or should I stick to ones (I can't find locally) made for aquariums?

Any other input on 'addatives', liquid fertilizers?

How should I go about adding 'spikes' do I just bury them in near the plants I like the most or just space a bunch out in the sand? How many?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
The ones made for aquariums are probably better, but I find them really expensive. For a small tank with only a few root feeders they would be a good and safe option.
If you prefer saving some money, the Jobes sticks are a good option. The palms & ferns variety has a low phosphate content (NPK 16-2-6) which is better than the other varieties.
You would push the root tabs, or Jobes (perhaps broken/cut into 3 or 4 pieces) into the substrate close to the roots of your root feeders. These are rosette plants, like swords, crypts, lotus, aponogetons, etc. If you have an area that you want to have covered by low growing (carpet) plants, you can evenly space the fertilizer sticks.
In any case, push them deep into the substrate so they don't become accidently unearthed and release their nutrients into the water column, which might cause algae/green water outbreaks.
I don't like using sand, unless it is coarse, but this is just personal preference, as plants will do alright in a wide variety of substrates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode