Making aquasoil into chocolate milk - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Making aquasoil into chocolate milk

Silly girl, I didn't read the directions! I got a new ADA tank (@40 gal) and put in the powersand and amazonia aquasoil correctly as suggested by LFS, and I also made a sort of beach area of pure fine sand. Then I planted and put in wood. Then I hated my design. I'd only had sand tanks before so I ripped it all out and stirred together the powersand, aquasoil and sand. I was rooting around in there like a catfish. I like to change things.

I didn't realize I was dealing with clay until it started sticking together and sticking to the rocks I was arranging like mortar. OH no... I stopped mucking about and put water back in the tank. It looked like really dark chocolate. I've been doing 90% water changes evere since (a few days) and running my eheim ecco with fine filter floss and carbon floss on top of those beads, but I still can't see the back of my tank. The filter may be making things worse even though I have it directed at a side wall near the surface. I think I've succeeded in making clay slip. Meanwhile the plants are I bought are languishing. GRRRRR. Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Do large water changes daily till it clears.

Now take your tank and think about if it was 12 ft long........that';s what we dealt with.

Diatom filters etc might take care of it for a little while

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
good luck.Im sure Ill be in the same boat. I love changes and Im doing ADA in my 120g tank later this spring. So it will likely end up like that for me as well.

Like posted above just keep doing water changes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

wow

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep up the water changes and thank my lucky stars it's not a 12 foot tank!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I thought I wanted to try AS. But after reading all of the horror stories over the past couple of months (turns to muck, smells bad, gives you a rash, melts plants, soak it for weeks, the expense, etc, etc, etc) I think I'll avoid it.

How can so many people sing such praise for this stuff? I think Amano has put out a product that was not fully researched.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
I thought I wanted to try AS. But after reading all of the horror stories over the past couple of months (turns to muck, smells bad, gives you a rash, melts plants, soak it for weeks, the expense, etc, etc, etc) I think I'll avoid it.

How can so many people sing such praise for this stuff? I think Amano has put out a product that was not fully researched.
Yeah, those are hassles, but the bottom line is plant growth, no? It is worth it to many for the plant growth. May not be worth it for some ...
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
It is the lack of one's ability to follow instructions.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have had zero problems with mine in a 55 gallon. Is it mushy; yes, its a clay, thats what they do. Is it cloudy in the beginning? Yep, but most gravels are to some extent. This just happens to be the extreme end of the spectrum. Before you give up, let your filter do its job for a little longer. Then make a judgment.

The brotherhood of Tek - President and member numero uno.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

it's clay

You're right about following directions, but this in not exactly a user friendly product. Aqua soil is clay, and not all fired clay either. Many plants love to grow in clay, but clay particles can stay in suspension a long, long time, that's what "clay slip" is. I think aquasoil can work well if you follow instructions exactly. Those instructions include things like trimming plants off at the base rather than pulling out the roots. This is from Aqua Forest. It seems that one really has to change the way a tank is handled to have success with this stuff. If you don't like to move things much, if you are willing to put in all your initial plants right away, then trim but not replant; basically if you have a restrained and pre-planned approach rather than my exploratory kid-in-the-sandbox approach it can probably work well for you.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
If you don't like to move things much, if you are willing to put in all your initial plants right away, then trim but not replant
And yet another drawback. Perhaps ADA should include precautions along with the instructions???
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I find no problem in moving things around...

FUNction over form

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

replanting

Thanks eklikewhoa, you are giving me hope. Perhaps after a bacterial colony exists in the substrate and the plants suck up some of the silt it becomes more stable. To others: I would listen to eklikewhoa rather than me as I am just starting out with aquasoil and just thinking and talking about it but not experienced. I could easily be wrong.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
I uproot plants in my Aquasoil all the time, I just take it slow...
Never been a problem. Sure a bit of a cloud comes up, but the water goes back to crystal clear in a matter of hours.

Supposedly this could be because I have extremely soft water? I've heard AS is more troublesome the harder the water gets...

I would never want to use it in a situation where I would be stepping on it though
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklikewhoa View Post
I find no problem in moving things around...
In some tanks, neither do I, but I have 9 tanks with it, some do, some don't.
I think is smaller systems, if you follow the suggestions, it works fine.

I still like and use it, but it's not forgiving for folks that redo things,
It is woefully inappropriate for large tanks like a 12ft and 16ft tanks.

None of these tanks, Amano's larger tanks are noteably missing the AS, can really achieve 100% with it.

You can argue with me till the cows home about this, but I have spent a logn of labor, time and energy trying to rectify things in larger systems without any decent results.

In smaller tanks, you cannot compare on equal terms, there are trade offs.
For smaller tanks, I still suggest using it.

Folks hear one side and then do not think about the other.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post

Supposedly this could be because I have extremely soft water? I've heard AS is more troublesome the harder the water gets...

I would never want to use it in a situation where I would be stepping on it though
No, we used hard La tap and we also could use pure RO, there was no relationship ever seen after many months.

Walking on clay balls makes clay bricks, not mush.
Take some and make a ball with it sometime.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode