Zen Garden Look - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Zen Garden Look

I am trying to acheive the zen garden beach look next to my aquasoil.

I checked out home depot and they had play sand, but it had a warning label to not use with aquariums.

I only need to do a corner of the aquarium, so I won't need much. Where is the best place to get a nice white safe sand cheaply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Have you seen pool filter sand? and ADA has decorative sand also if you don't like the color of pool filter sand!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've heard of it, but where can I find it and how much does it cost? Also, I am afraid of it combining with my aquasoil. Any suggestions on how to keep them separated?

I would love to do the whole tank with just white sand. Is it possible to layer the sand over the aquasoil? How long before the sand completely disappears underneath the soil? Once the sand is underneath, I'd probably have to use a fine strainer to separate it and relayer it???

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Lol that silica sand sounds like terribly dangerous stuff.

I've used two types of Home Depot sand (one of which was pictured in the first of the above three links,) and had relatively good results (for inert substrates, of course.) The only issue I ever had resulted when I didn't strain the sand as well as I should have, and the substrate ended up compacting the roots of my plants and resulted in a smelly, bacteria-laden mess. If you're going to use sand, pick up a 5g paint strainer from whatever hardware store you go to, and wash about five pounds of sand at a time, per the instuctions at www.rexgrigg.com. Good luck!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I've used pool filter sand as a foreground before, I do think they leach some silicates in teh water but it's only a short-term algae outbreak that quickly subsides. See my 29g tank thread below for a divider idea...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmm. The first picture I linked to is the same sand as in the 3rd link for the .pdf.

So, the Quickrete play sand I linked to is or isn't safe???

I did a search but am still confused as to what sand is safe. Does anyone know of a thread that explains it?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Has anyone had any experience placing sand over aquasoil?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabak80 View Post
Has anyone had any experience placing sand over aquasoil?
i've seen it done.. Just don't have more than 1" of sand.. But if you think about it... the sand will eventually settle to the bottom...

i've seen this done.. and it looks like it could work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good idea with the stone barrier.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have thought of cutting some pieces of a pliable plastic such as is used for those medical "Elizabethan collars" to keep dogs from chewing on a wound or drain. I have a few of those in the attic since we have three medically proficient dogs. Then covering it up with small pebbles/rocks on top to hide it from above. Never tried it, but thought about it - then I decided I didn't feel like picking out Flourite from white sand. Since I have two medium sized Clown loaches and some Corys bulldozing around.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 AM

You can also use plexiglass at a bit more expensive but sturdier. Just get some that is only 1/8" thick that way it is pliable enough to make a curved area where ever you want it. glue it in place with silicone sealant to the bottom only leaving it barely away from the front of the tank and side. then silicone some appropriate sized pebbles onto the top of the curved plastic piece. After drying completely for 48 hours just add your sand type
Here's aplace that sells some more expensive brand names but it can give you an idea of what to look for.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/...1/category.web

Good Luck!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I have said it many times, look for 3M Colorquartz. Clean and very very small pebbles, not abraisive, inert and very easy to work with, completely prewashed, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am currently using "playsand" in one of my 2.5 gal tank. Using established water from my 20 GAL tank I added fish and plants to that tank 2 hours later. I have not lost any of my guppies and there are like 20 in that tank. I think it's safe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode