ADA differences? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
ADA differences?

What is the difference between the 3 different types of ADA AS?? I have and Im hoping to breed Kribs and BN plecos. Then I also have oto's and rasboras. What would be the best choice. I also have crypts, swords, lace leaf, anubias and stem plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
There's a minor difference in levels of nutrients between the different types. The biggest difference to me was color, so that's what I based my decision upon. I got the ADA AS Amazonia since it was the darkest color...but any of the three would be fine for your purposes.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I bought ADA amazonia as well. Supposedly each one is supposed to mimic the specific region, but I just picked the color I liked best.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

How many bags of ADA would I need for a 72" 120g tank?? And yes or no for the sand

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've ordered 9L of each. My original soil (El natural) substrate contained too much organic material and it decayed leaving me with too little substrate (the top layer is gravel). I'm going to slowly work the aquasoil in over a few weeks (I'm not breaking down a 180). I want experience with Aquasoil as I want to determine if it would be wise to use in the monster tank (5070g).

Check it out:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
ADA AS on a 5070g tank?! Jesus. Amano will be happy :-P.

Well the site recommends one 9 liter bag for a 15g tank. So you can base it off of that.

And if you are doing sand, then I seriously you recommend splitting it like amano does with his sand and ADA AS. He takes plastic thingies, and splits the tank into where he wants sand and where he wants ADA AS. Then when he puts both of the substrates in, he takes off the plastic thingies.

But the thing is, Amano doesn't replant at all or change his scape, so be aware of that. I bet if he did, it would be pretty hard to keep it aesthetically nice looking.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
1 bag per 175 square inches of footprint for ~3" depth.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:03 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
How many bags of ADA would I need for a 72" 120g tank?? And yes or no for the sand
Since ADA is already measured in volume (liters) all you need to do is elementary math. Multiply your tank length times width times the depth you want. If your using inches that will give you cubic inches. Then google 'volume converter' and get an online converter to go between cubic inches and liters.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I used 4 1/2 bags in my 90g, which is the same footprint as your tank (48"x18"). I have an exaggerated hill/mound on the right side and some sloping on the left as well. If you're going for minimal, you can use 3 bags or so, but add 1-2 extra if you want to do something more...
I also used one 2L bag of Powersand-S, but wish that I had just used an extra 1/2 bag of AS instead.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
ADA AS on a 5070g tank?! Jesus. Amano will be happy :-P.

Well the site recommends one 9 liter bag for a 15g tank. So you can base it off of that.

And if you are doing sand, then I seriously you recommend splitting it like amano does with his sand and ADA AS. He takes plastic thingies, and splits the tank into where he wants sand and where he wants ADA AS. Then when he puts both of the substrates in, he takes off the plastic thingies.

But the thing is, Amano doesn't replant at all or change his scape, so be aware of that. I bet if he did, it would be pretty hard to keep it aesthetically nice looking.
No, I'm not doing sand. I'm ordering both (Amazonia & Africana) so that I may see how they each look in the tank. I know "Amazonia" is supposed to resemble, well...the Amazon but all the underwater photos I've seen of the South American biotopes have dark brown or lighter soil, even white sand at times. Even "Blackwater" habitats have dark brown substrate. I think the "Africana" will look more natural than the black "Amazonia" or perhaps a mix of both?
I don't think Amano's aquascapes look at all natural. To me they always look like terrestrial gardens or coastal scenes not natural underwater biotopes. The tanks are beautiful and I WISH my tank was as algea free but I aim for a very natural look.
That being said the my monster Amazonian biotope tank will not have only fish that occur naturally together; they'll range the entire Amazon region, else I wouldn't be able to keep Cardinals Tetras AND Panda's Corys now would I!

Check it out:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 04:13 PM

I just used 4 1/2 bags on a 75 gallon.

A neat trick you can put into Google is a math calculation and conversion. Like http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ches+in+liters tells you how many liters of ADA you need and then you divide it by 9 to tell you how many bags. Or just add that to the equation like this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ches+in+liters so I needed 4.7 bags

Oh and I'm only a week into my new tank and I really like the look of the Amazonia.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Good tip with google. Now its even simpler you can do it all together on one line without having to know how to multiply, use a calculator, or find a metric conversion. Its like a no brainer. Now if only all substrate products would be measured in volume rather than weight...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

How about the power sand. Should I get that for the bottom of the tank?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
I've used it but I think that next time I would go without it...I'm not sure that it is truly necessary, but it does help establish a biological colony in your substrate...it is irritating if you replant regularly as it has a tendency to work its way up...next time I'm going to use just the Aquasoil alone...

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yeah powersand is annoying. It probably has it benefits, but in areas where the substrate is often disturbed, I have tons of little white granules poking out. It's really displeasing to the eye.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode