Mixing red Flourite and Eco-complete?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Mixing red Flourite and Eco-complete??

Im going to be setting up a 125g instead of my 55g.
Im planning on using both Eco and Flourite. I will have mostly eco complete with a spot in the tank with Flourite to add some difference in the subtrate, like a round the bogwood. It WILL be separated. I will be making something to keep these separate when the time comes.

I was wondering if this would be a good idea. And if I could just throw the rest of the Flourite underneath the eco if I have any left??

Is there something better I could use as a substatue for the Flourite, that will add something different

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
that would be a funky looking mix. I have SMS and eco mix in my 75 and it looks good. the diff isn't horribly dramatic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Are you looking for different color or what? The dark Eco might look kind of funky with a redish flourite. What is the goal here. I have top dressed Eco with a slightly larger river gravel once, and it stayed on top. Looked fine. But if its just a divider wall, it will probably get mixed up a bit.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Most cases of divided substrate is done with planting only in one type...the other being decorative. If you're planning on planting in both substrates then the different color is almost a moot point as the plants will obstruct your view of the substrate. IOW, you'd be better off using just one kind of substrate material.

If you're planning on having one substrate type act as a decorative hightlight to the tank, then using Eco or Flourite would be overkill for that area since both are sold at a premium with the promise of enhancing plant growth. An inert and inexpensive sand or fine gravel would be a better option here.

óBill

|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I considered this mix briefly when I re-did my 90 gallon (used Flourite before). I decided not to mix because I didn't want to take the chance the look of the substrate after mixing. An expensive and time consuming (rinsing of the Flourite) mistake if it doesn't look good. I decided to go with the Eco Complete and I am glad I did. It was amazing not to have to rinse the substrate and I had crystal clear water right from the beginning.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode