What sub for my 20G? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What sub for my 20G?

Hi all

I am about to redo my 20G and i want to add some better substrate.
The plant i want to grow most is dwarf hair grass as i love it and HC but what substrate would be best for them?
I am also getting new lights because at the moment i only have 30Watts over the tank, i will be upgrading it to about 50Watts or 70Watts with one of them arcadia over head lighting models.

Thanks.
Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

anyone got any suggestions?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I personally like Shultz Aquatic, but it is CRAZY light, so I frequently mix it with a little small grain pea-pebble and large grain sand to help hold down the plants.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
ADA Aquasoil works great for both plants. My hairgrass and HC have both taken off with it. I have had bad luck with hairgrass in flourite and eco-complete/black sand mix. The Aquasoil is light (which is great for hairgrass) and holds plants down very well.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Flourite ROCKS!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alot everyone, i have been thinking of using flourite the black/brown colour its expensive though lol.

would you say i would need 2 bags to fill a 20G?

Thanks.
Nick.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

What would you say is better ADA aqua soil amazonia or seachem flourite?

I am swayed towards ADA and it looks nice but do i need the power sand for underneath?

Nick.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
ADA Aquasoil is the best!!!

The Powersand is optional but I use it and think it works and personally would use it. I started a second tank yesterday and I opted to used the Powersand.

FUNction over form

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
due to lack of feedback on your thread, i think you haven't heard enough about the ada substrate. it is simply, the BEST available.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

this is my first time going fully planted with substrate and ferts but i realy want to give it ago.

Thanks for the replys

The power sand what is the difference between M, S L and special S is it the grain size?

Thanks.
Nick.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
The M,S,L is just grain size and the Special has extra nutrients and stuff packed into it....I always get the Special S since all my tanks are small but on a larger tank(55g+) I would go with something larger.

Also keep in mind that if you plan on uprooting plants a lot the Powersand can be unearthed to the top which looks kind of bad but can be pushed back down, basically a pita if there will be lots of uprooting.

FUNction over form

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot Eklikewhoa i will probly get a 9liter bag of amazonia and a bag of powersand special S.

I wont be having many stem plants so not much uprooting will be going on i am mainly having mosses,hairgrass, riccia, HC and crypts and eventually some anubis and java fern.

i will start a new thread when i start the re build of the tank.
at the moment its a mess due to me waiting for fund for my substrate.

I have also just bought a new light unit 73Watts over a 20G that should be enough right?

Nick.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

i have just bought 9liters of ADA aqua soil amazonia my new light that is 73Watts arrived today aswell cant wait to get the substrate in and get the plants in right excited

Nick.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

My ADA aqua soil Amazonia has arrived along with a new diffuser ,light(72W) and 250ml Excel.

I will be stripping the tank down over the easter holidays and replacing the old with the new :] i cant wait, then its time to order the plants.

Nick.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If you're seriously wondering what the *best* substrate is for HC and hairgrass, the answer is aquasoil. I heard the same thing prior to trying it and found it to be true from my own experiences. I still have both plants in my tank and they are quite happy. Not to say that other substrates won't work, but this works very well IME.

*Edit* I didn't scroll far enough down. It looks like you have some aquasoil now. Good purchase! You'll be happy -- that much I'm certain.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode