Why is substrate marketed in bags with how many pounds it contains? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why is substrate marketed in bags with how many pounds it contains?

This has always struck me as funny. Why do bags of Substrate come in number of pounds as opposed to say... ohhh.... a useful measurement like cubic feet? I can tell you the exact amount of substrate I would need for my 60gal cube @ 24"x24" base x 3" thick. Thats 1 cubic foot.

So lets say I want to convert that to a poundage measure so I can get my substrate for the 60gal tank. I am not going to go with sand on this one, I am going to do a very fine black gravel. And I need 1 cubic foot of it. How many pounds is that? I'm guessing its gotta be about 50lbs of it. I REALLY like the Eco-Complete that I used in my girlfriends 5gal Hex tank and I think I want to go with that for the 60gal. Recommendations on number of pounds to get me where I need to be?

Starting over with the 60 gallon cube after 6 years out of the hobby!

19 Neon Tetras
0 Cherry Shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

104lbs?!

I think I'll pass :lol:

Normal gravel it is then.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
why don't you go with some soil master instead? that would only be 2ish bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6Gal Nano Journal

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
You may want to read the second paragraph of my post here I think we feel the same way. BTW Aqua Soil is measured in volume not weight, atleast 1 company has it right. And Eco has been said not to be much heavier than most other options, just that the bag is filled with water so it makes the product much heavier per bag. When you actually figure out how much your paying for the volume, ECO is the most expensive plant substrate out there, more expensive than Aqua Soil even.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
why don't you go with some soil master instead? that would only be 2ish bags.
You would only need 1 bag, and will probably have some left over.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
You would only need 1 bag, and will probably have some left over.
Thats true SMS spreads much more then eco.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
When working with natural materials the density can vary. And due to Government regulations your bag must contain what is stated on the label. It's much easier for automated machinery to fill a 100 lb bag of gravel than to fill a XXX liter bag.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rex, good insight, never thought of it that way, but it makes sense that the Government would make it harder to use common sense measures when labeling a product

Anyway, This Soilmaster stuff you guys are talking about... Why would I only need 1 bag of it? 1 bag is 50lbs.

Again, what am I missing here.

EDIT: Also... I WANT BLACK substrate. I don't want tan, dark tan, brown, red, purple... BLACK as the inside of your hat on a moonless night.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Soilmaster is marketed by a company called profile and the major retailer of it is Lesco. Soilmaster is much lighter then Eco and as such it simply covers more sq footage. Also unlike Eco it shipps dry. So you don't wind up paying for half a bag of water.The water weight is why you wind up having to buy so much Eco.
Example Schultz aquatic soil (similar to SMS) comes in 10lb bags. however it will cover more area then a 20lb bag of eco-complete.

Soilmaster is a very dark grey and may contain some lighter colored chips. But for the most part it is pretty close to black. close enough anyways. and really it dosen't mater since you won't really be seeing the substrate that much since you will have so many plants in there.

I have a mixture of Eco and SMS in my 75. and tho you can def tell the diff between the eco and the SMs its so such a dramatic diff to draw atention away from the plants and livestock.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Where can Schultz be had locally? I thought I heard Home Depot sells it, is this correct?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

yeah Home depot keeps them in the section where all the plant foods and ferts are.
Lowes keeps it in the plant section with the pond supply.

...trying to remember the other major chain I seen it......

But really if possible you should go with SMS. the grain size is much preferred for planting smaller stems.
Personally I like the color better also.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, here is the scoop on this tank. My brother bought the tank for me for Christmas. He and I spent a week in the garage, after work, building tank stands and canopies for our tanks. We Built these big beautiful Birch furniture pieces to compliment our tanks. Shortly thereafter I moved out to a new apartment and I have yet to set up the tank that I have had for 2 months already. I have only weekends from here on out to do anything and I am impatient as hell considering that I have had it 2 months already... empty. I just want to go somewhere and purchase it so I don't have to deal with the package being dropped at the door or office building of my apartment.

About smaller stems, I don't plan to plant many if ANY small plants. I will likely be going with a medium amount of lighting @ ~2wpg and No CO2 injection and LOTS of Anubius and other smaller or slow growing plants like crypts.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Actually, SMS is manufactured by Oil-Dri. Profile makes Turface (and Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil). The two are not interchangable as SMS will strip water of its carbonate hardness (KH) while Turface is inert in that respect.

That aspect aside, they're both very lightweight so their volume to weight ratio is very high compared to most other substratesólike comparing 100# of Rice Krispies to 100# of wild rice.

One final note. Neither SMS nor Turface is black. Both are a med-dark gray with flecks of brown. If you want jet black you're looking at either Tahitian Moon Sand or 3M ColorQuartz. The former can be found at an LFS while the latter is sold by pool constuction suppiers (it's used as a color coating in swimming pools)

óBill

|
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got a price on the Schultz. My local Home Depot has the 10lb bags for $6.83 each. A quick calculation shows thats just shy of $40 for 50lbs While this isn't so bad its not as good of a price as Soilmaster Select is.

However, in light of bharada's post I think I will in fact get the Schultz from Home Depot. I may get a bag or 2 of Eco-Complete to cap off certain areas here I may want some Driftwood pieces to lie on a raised portion of "ground."

Thanks guys!

Ninja EDIT: bharada, would you advise against getting some Tahitian Moonsand to cap off the Schultz aqua soil? Perhaps I could layer 2" of each. Considering my tank is 25" tall I wouldn't miss that extra inch.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode