Dry EcoComplete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Unhappy Dry EcoComplete?

I ordered 2 bags of EcoComplete from DrFosterSmith.com and unfortunately, they came to my door in a SOPPING WET box. All the water had drained from the bags..
I don't blaim DrFosterSmith.com at all, every shipment I've ever gotten from them has been perfect but I blame FedEx.

I called DFS customer service and let them know what happened, and to my surprise and happyness they will be sending me 2 new bags!

My question is, since I have these 2 dry bags of EcoComplete, is it still safe to use them? These were for the 40G im setting up as a planted Discus tank, and I could use the dry stuff in case I needed more, but I don't want to use it if it could be unsafe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
That happened to me this week too! Two of my 4 bags had exploded. I couldn't see how it hurt them any, so I'm using them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I don't see why it would be unsafe.....I have taken it out of my tank and left it outside for a month and put it back in a tank dry and it didn't cause any harm so I see no reason why you would have a problem.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
I don't see why it would be unsafe.....I have taken it out of my tank and left it outside for a month and put it back in a tank dry and it didn't cause any harm so I see no reason why you would have a problem.
Huh? I can't help but wonder..... Why does EcoComplete ship wet?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
its some secret water that has bacteria in it to make the water cycled as soon as you put it in.its some buffer liquid thing

One month in.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your replies! I'm starting up my first real big planted tank.. and EcoComplete was my first choice for substrate.
I've put the dry stuff in there and I'm actually glad im getting some more.. I could use an extra bag.
It's I believe a 45 gallon? But that is for another thread
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I just got six bags of eco today also from same place and most bags are half freezed and one exploded, but I will still use them.

Canon Pimp Club #031
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
That water stuff is a bunch of marketing hype anyhow. No bacteria can live for months in a closed bag. Just like in our tanks, they need O2. Dry bags are fine.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
yeah it will be fine.
the reason it shipps wet is to increase the bag weight and screw you out of about 8lb of substrate.
And to keep the worms and nematodes that are always in it alive.
Personaly I'm never buying another bag of Eco. I'm pissed my last bag was barely enough to cover a 6 gallon tank and that it always shipps with bugs. pisses me off to see bugs in a newly setup tank.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I got my second shipment of Eco in today, and it was all fine, no exploded bags.
Though, I added it all together and now I think I have TOO much substrate. Thats ok, I planned on re-doing my 20G anyway.
Speaking of which, going to post another thread...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I set up my 90 gallon with the Eco Complete and did not have any problems at all. Certainly no bugs. It has been several months and still everything is good. Should I expect to see these nematodes anytime soon??
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The bacteria within Eco Complete are completely safe after a drying out because they simply do like most bacilli they reduse numbers to keep those healthiest alive the longest, then when conditions are ideal again they multiply. I have a friend that worked for a local University in their science lab, and he measured the amount of bacili in a drop of water before during and after a drying out just to see what would happen. They dyed off to extremely low numbers during the drying process then when he added some good water again they began to multiply at a repid rate. The total process took approximately 1 month from wet to dry, and back to wet again.

Basically they are one of the hardiest creatures on this planet next to viri.

As for the bugs, I have never heard anyone having any real problems with them doing anything harmful to their tanks so...

Happy Planting!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode