Recycle Eco-Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need to move my tank out, I have 110lbs of Eco-Complete in the tank now which has been in there for almost 7-8 months, where I am moving it to I won’t be able to set up the aquarium for about a month, what method should I do to package up the substrate, clean it then reintroduce it in to a new tank later? Will it stay good if it dries out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:43 AM

Shame you cant transplant it straight away. Would help cycle.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes, but that is not my concern right now. Are there any disinfection methods for storing used substrate?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why would you want to do that?! You would be killing all the beneficial bacteria, and by disinfecting it you might ruin the substrate...it might not preform as it once did
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't WANT to, I HAVE to. Is there anything I can do?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
If I were in that situation... To remove most of the yuckie muck, I would rinse it with lukewarm water. Then put it in buckets with tank water, and just keep it there. Then before using it, again rinse it with temperate water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

should i add a little bleach or something to keep the water from going bad?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I would not. That would surely kill all living stuff. Just rinse it enough so there isn't too much mud left, just whatever biofilm is stuck to it.

I have never done that, so there might be a better solution... Substrate and water together = awfully heavy. Not sure if keeping it on the dry side would be easier. Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:05 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
When it's time to set up the tank, you can activate the substrate by putting a THIN layer of peat on the bottom.
Please note OW said thin, I'd like to emphasize that and say Very thin please.

The problem with Eco-Complete is that they don't want you to let it dry out. However, you might consider letting your substrate dry out, then when you go to set up the new tank buy, and add to the tank, a new bag of Eco-Complete to "re-seed" the substrate the way the manufacturer developed it. Get the old substrate wet then put the new bag in, fill up the tank and run a filter for a bit. Do you have a friend that would be able to give you some used filter media the day you set the tank back up, preferably one that uses Eco-Complete?

As an aside I don't use Eco-Complete but I don't have any qualms about recommending it to people who are setting up their first planted tank. It does have a nice "instant" success factor to it.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:50 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Quote:
The problem with Eco-Complete is that they don't want you to let it dry out.
There's nothing special about the "black water" that Eco-Complete comes packaged in. It has the bacteria and probably some flocculant that polish the water. All the nutrients are bound in the individual grains. In fact, the manufacturer recommends discarding the "black water" if you plan on adding the substrate to established tanks.

I didn't say they want you to put the water it is packaged with in the tank. I said they don't want you to let it dry out before you use it. By all means discard the water it is packaged with.

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I will venture a guess that the reason you do not want to add Eco juice to an established tank would be the nitrite boost you would most likely introduce to it.
Lets face it, even straight tap water left to stand , unless chlorinated , will have micro bodies deteriorating creating ill effected conditions. The standing water in these bags cannot by any means be healthy for fish in high doses.
A large tank I imagine could take a bag or two no problem but adding that juice to a smaller tank might cause stress.
They know what the product is so I am sure there is a reason for saying it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:49 AM
PT Biologist

Quote:
SCMurphy, can you tell me where CaribSea states that it doesn't want the substrate to dry out? This is the first time that I've heard it and I don't understand its logic. From all the previous posts, I just assumed people wanted to store the substrate wet to preserve the bacteria and mulm, which I thought was unnecessary. Am I missing some other point?

I for one ignored the "discard liquid content if adding Eco-Complete to established tanks" because I am a total cheapskate. I paid good money for that water, and I will use it. I don't understand why I shouldn't add the water to established tanks. I e-mailed CaribSea about it a while back but never got a response.
I might be as much of a total cheapskate as yourself since I won't buy Eco-Complete, Flourite, or any of these commercial "for planted tanks" substrates. I use a personal mix of top soil (40 pound for $1.09) and clay (5 pounds for $8.00) and chick grit (50 pounds for $5) to seal it (warning don't use this as a proportion recipe). I did buy some Moon Sand to do an aquascape like Luis Navarro only with a black foreground so I am not completely avoiding the commercial realm, just the Shultz Aquatic Soil and whatever group.

The warning about letting the Eco-Complete dry out is something that members of my local club who use Eco-Complete were discussing, I may be wrong but they usually know what they are talking about. For all I know it is something they were told while we were at the AGA convention in Dallas.

Sean

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode