Seperating AS and Decorative sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Seperating AS and Decorative sand

When redoing your tank how do you guys separate the two? I think it is almost impossible without it mixing because it keeps sliding when you're trying to take out one of the substrate.

Well I'm thinking of redoing my tank and want to try scaping with a middle path but if I don't like it I hope I can find a way to fix it or redo it again.

For the people that has done this layout, do you guys have a mindset of leaving it like that forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

37 views and nobody knows, oh well i guess I gotta get it right the first time or else it's going to be a big mess.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I can help you. I've done sand foregrounds on my two ADA tanks.

If the AS is dry, this is no problem, simply use a divider, pour, and level.

If the AS is wet, things get difficult. You have to take all the substrate out. All of it, then rinse the tank to get loose granules out. Then, get as much water out of the AS as possible by letting it grain, perhaps in a colander.

Then, use a divider. Pour AS first. Actually, you may not pour, I used a spatula and sort of cemented in a 3.5 inch layer. Then, pour sand. Flatten and level. It helps tremendously if you have a sort of dividing hardscape like driftwood.

If there is sand already in the tank and you want to redivide, you may have to buy more. If you are using powersand, it will be impossible to seperate it from the AS without a lot of work.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
while i'm sure he appreciates the good intention mrbelvedere, but i think his situation is he already has divided them for his current scape, but now he wants to undivide them to use the two in a different scape.

my best guess would be to use a strainer that has holes large enough to hold the aquasoil back but let the sand fall through. kind of like when you're sifting for gold in the river in the old days
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I know it is almost impossible to do a neat job on this. I was just wondering if anyone here has any technique they like to share. My problem is when I start to take out the sand, the AS keeps on falling back to the sand because of it is an uneven level now. Oh well, I just better get it right and leave it like that....forever.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:23 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowdaboy View Post
I know it is almost impossible to do a neat job on this. I was just wondering if anyone here has any technique they like to share. My problem is when I start to take out the sand, the AS keeps on falling back to the sand because of it is an uneven level now. Oh well, I just better get it right and leave it like that....forever.
Can you go to home depot or lowes and get a scrap of plexiglass? That would be stiff enough to slide it in between the AS and Sand, and allow you to scoop one out while holding back the other. (Theoretically anyway)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Not really all that possible. If you plan on doing sand with aquasoil, plan on keeping it setup for a year or 2. When you want to change it scrap the old stuff and buy new stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode