ADA AS + Melting Plants?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
ADA AS + Melting Plants?!

I just added ADA AS this past week and planted plants I got on the forum.

Everything seems to be melting now. The ludwigia, rotala, vals, even the anubias!

Is it temporary and will the plants grow new leaves? Everything is turning into mush, and I'm not sure why! Is it because the drastic change in kH? The fish seem fine, but the plants are dying!

I have 2.5 WPG over the 40 gallon tank w/ EI dosing and pressurized CO2 (it's been on and off intermittently since I keep re-arranging things).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Have you checked your parms of the kH/GH etc. You guys have hard water there don't you?
I would think your plants would flourish with the AS. Maybe its an adjustment phase, hopefully.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
We here in SA Texas hard HARD water. I have just set up a tank with ADA PS & AS and no plants yet have melted. I have read elsewhere here that some others have had problems with certain plants melting but dont think the ADA AS has anything to do with it.
I agree with above posting, probably adjusting.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It better be adjustment, cuz that's a LOT of plants.

The vals have all melted. The roots are kinda soft. I'll leave them and see. The Crinum calamistratum has leaves that have 1/2 melted off too. R. wallichii is melted.

We have hard water here too...hard as a rock.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
yea, I know what you mean on the water! Our source of water(Aquafer) is based with limestone!
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
epicfish, i really believe it is an acclimation period as i have been experiencing the same thing. two weeks ago i added plants into the tank with new AS and almost everything i had melted to nothing. all crypts, blyxa, vals, hygro, and temple. it really sucks but i can see the blyxa growing back and crypts are stable now. just be patient. (i am SUCH a hippocrite saying that)

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I remember reading a post from an old Mod, (a good dude named Buck). Anyhow, he had some melted plants he knew were dead. But forgot to pull them out. Then, many weeks later the plant threw up new growth. Just trying to be positive by telling you this anecdote.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gotta be acclimation. How big was the KH swing? Did you adjust your CO2 to compensate?
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Oh danepatrick,
I know you aren't one to caution patience! GASP! LOL! Epicfish, if you changed the substrate and immediately planted, it makes sense that you might have a "melt down" and here's why:

AS apparently goes through a process in the initial stages when introduced into a tank. Ammonia goes up and various changes occur to KH/GH in the water. Over time these changes decrease and eventually end whereupon the substrate produces no ammonia and slightly buffers (down) the ph of the water. This change can be accelerated or enhanced with addition of Carbon (large amounts of carbon according to Amano-san's practice) as well as the addition of Seachem Purigen to filtration. I can not begin to fully explicate the chemical reactions occurring which cause this dynamic but it seems to be a common occurrence with "fresh" AS. I've personally noticed that over the course of 2 weeks now, the AS has balanced out in my tank (of approx. 20g). Although I've added Purigen to the filtration and no small amount of carbon! AS also was irritating the **** out of me b/c it tends to slightly tint the water but this changed after I took the measure indicated above. I hope this helps and as always YMMV. It truly is an awesome substrate once you get past this initial phase....good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had this problem too. Plants were melting for within the first week.

But after that, it grew back.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Replied to your other thread but I experienced the same thing.

Like the others have stated(much better than I) it is cause of poor acclimation. AS drops KH and PH dramatically and that probably shocked the plants. I had my whole tank melt off to nothing but stubs in the substrate but I stuck it out cause I experienced the same thing with crypts in less drastic changes and all the plants grew back 10x better looking!!

FUNction over form

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hm...I did one 50% WC before I planted, but I don't think that was enough. I'll keep the "dead" stems and bulbs/rhizomes in there and hope they grow back nicely.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

When I first set up my tank I used an established canister and then did 50-70% water changes every day for the first week and still had all my plants melt.

FUNction over form

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Just from reading this post and all experiences, it seems to me that if you already have soft water, the switch was not detrimental, but those of you with rock hard water all experienced the melting, so I have to think that it is an acclimation situation because of the drastic kh/gh change, as those with soft water do not experience that much of a swing. I am about to set up a tank with AS and I have a KH of 1 so I trust that I will likely not experience this. If I do not, it would be consistent with what I am observing from your posts.
Epic, I would hange tight, the longer you can, the better.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I definitely agree that it's an acclimation situation.

FUNction over form

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode