I know i know the dreaded "what substrate" to use Thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know i know the dreaded "what substrate" to use Thread

After reading many threads i still find myself at a cross road.

just would like your opinions.

tank is 240gal. 96x24x24 so i will need allot. 3" bed? what do you guys think i should go with? going eco-c will break a man and take away from other investment items i need to get.

your thought and why?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
So, rule out Eco-Complete and ADA AS. Flourite might be a viable option. If you're going for cheaper still, you can try Soilmaster Select - Charcoal for a darker color, or they have a red color. It's cheap. $20 for 50 pounds, cheaper sometimes if you look around.

Schultz Aquatic Soil is pretty cheap too. Sand is always a good option for large tanks. I like the look of sand very much, and it's always super cheap at HD, Lowes..etc.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
So, rule out Eco-Complete and ADA AS. Flourite might be a viable option. If you're going for cheaper still, you can try Soilmaster Select - Charcoal for a darker color, or they have a red color. It's cheap. $20 for 50 pounds, cheaper sometimes if you look around.

Schultz Aquatic Soil is pretty cheap too. Sand is always a good option for large tanks. I like the look of sand very much, and it's always super cheap at HD, Lowes..etc.

epic you rock always jumping up to help out.

when i did this as a planted tank in the past i had sand and Onyx mixed, i just didn't think sand would be best if i was going to be going all out planted this time around. i do like the sound of $20 for 50 pounds verses the later

Is there a calculator here so i can figure out what "pounds" i will need? should i go 3" , i do remember the one problem i had with the sand is that i was keeping Geophagus in the tank and they uprooted everything, but that was my bad. i just want to make sure i have something that will hold the plants down well this time around.

i want green and green and more green, a big grass bed. and fat planted corners and the back as well. being this is 8ft i should be able to have a very large grass bed.

i have sand in the tank right now and is a reddish brown sand. "Red flint" is what it is. i suppose i could always add another 100 pounds of that and maybe mix in something else?

thanks for your help!

joe

PS you coming over to help set it up? LOL

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Joe, congrat's on that monster tank.
it's like everyone's wet dream here.
think about all soilmaster, it's makes
the most sense if I had such a tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
Joe, congrat's on that monster tank.
it's like everyone's wet dream here.
think about all soilmaster, it's makes
the most sense if I had such a tank

thanks man! i have had this tank for quite a few years and have kept allot of different things in it. but have been stuck with what to do next with it. and anytime i see a Takashi Amano tank i just drool, now i know i probably cannot compare to one of his tanks but it would sure be nice to try!

Where can i get soilmaster?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Boz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefish View Post
Is there a calculator here so i can figure out what "pounds" i will need? should i go 3" , i do remember the one problem i had with the sand is that i was keeping Geophagus in the tank and they uprooted everything, but that was my bad. i just want to make sure i have something that will hold the plants down well this time around.

Here's a substrate calculator that might help out.

Aquarium Calculators
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=083365

You can use the Store Locator. Depending on the store, if they don't have it, they might order it in for you. Some might charge shipping, some not.

Check out this link: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...er-select.html
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Three bags should be enough.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Just make sure to add a layer of peat moss under that SMS. And if you want 240 ounces of laterite would not hurt either.

I would mix the SMS with some similarly size coarse sand for a bit more "holding" power.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 AM
Boz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Not to hijack, but do you have a recommendation for a similar sized sand, Rex?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the links. are any of you suing soilmaster in your tanks?
the tank calculator scared me it said i needed 10 bags for 2" of soil LOL or for 3" 15 bags eeeep what if i just add it to the red flint sand i already have in the tank?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
Just make sure to add a layer of peat moss under that SMS. And if you want 240 ounces of laterite would not hurt either.
I would mix the SMS with some similarly size coarse sand for a bit more "holding" power.

Rex, I understand the peat and laterite to make the SMS more biologically active, but why risk substrate compaction problems by adding sand just to gain a bit more root holding power? I thought SMS was heavy and porous enough to hold roots quite nicely.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

spypet: If the grains are the same size there will be no compaction problem. SMS is actually quite light in weight.

Boz: I will not and can not recommend "name brand" sand. A nationally known brand of sand in the same bag will have different contents in different parts of the US. You should get the SMS or a sample, and there are plenty of people here who can provide a sample, and then go look for the sand. Normally if you look for "pool filter sand" it will be close to the right size. And don't restrict yourself to looking at sand. A "fine" gravel may be closer to the correct size.

In the actual rock trade sand and gravel have specific meanings.

Sand is anything between 0.625 and 2 mm.

Gravel is 2 mm in it's largest dimension and up to 75 mm in most cases. Some places consider gravel to be between 2 and 4 mm (Wikipedia is a wonderful thing! )
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post

So it would be Laterite then peat moss then soilmaster? or Peat being the very bottom? then laterite then soilmaster?

thanks guys for having patience with me

joe
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Doesn't make a difference which on the bottom. I normally add the VERY THIN layer of peat on the bottom. But since you are adding very small amounts of laterite it's not going to make a difference.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode