Comparison of weights of substrate materials - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would those of you with experience with various substrates make some practical comparisons between them. For example, one of my tanks is 100% Profile. It's too light in weight for my preference and I'm changing it out and will select either Flourite or EcoComplete. I've read the various threads but they didn't discuss the various weights relative to one another and, for example, Profile, old fashioned red flint gravel (my favorite!), etc. Can anyone help me out?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Im not sure what you are gettin at with the weight ? Is this relevant to coverage ?

You say you are ready for a change, I will voice my preference between the two choices you mentioned you might try. I have used both Flourite and Eco-Complete... both grow plants beautifully...

I now use Eco-Complete
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Eco-complete is easy enough to keep your plants in, they don't float up that much. If that's what you're asking about.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

George,

That's what I was getting at. Profile, for example, is rather marginal at holding plants, especially maintaining the roots covered. Even the Cory's can move it around easily. Is Eco heavier?

Bob
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

profile is so hard to keep down plants with...oiy.... eco is heavier indeed..it's great....

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

a ton is a ton lol but there is a difference in weight between profile and flourite

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
It seems to be more of a matter of density.

George

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

that's it!!! we're talkin Mass over volume baby!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 12:06 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thats the beauty of Eco-C is the different sizes in one bag .. it basically layers itself. When you first pour all the bags in it is mixed and as it matures and settles the finer mass (sand granular) settles and it really holds plants in and they root like no tomorrow.
I wonder what the true breakdown of materials is that makes this so much superior then anything else I have used... IMO
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Planted Member

i use flourite, but my flourite is with many different sizes of grain, including full on rock. I buy my flourite from my lfs by the pound at 85 cents a pound. They have 2 kinds of flourite, both are the same price, one is the red, and one is the kind i get, which appears to possibly be the red mixed with some kind of river rock. ANyway, i havent used eco, but the flourite i get is great at holding down plants, i have a pleco, and he rarely uproots anything.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode