Aquasoil + powersand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquasoil + powersand

I have a 10gallon tank and I bought one 3L bag of aqua soil. After I realized I need around 6L for a 10gallon tank. I have been reading the forums and basically what I got is the powersand is not necessary but does help get everything started.

What I was wondering is if I could get away with the 3L of aquasoil + powersand, or should I get another 3L of aquasoil for a total of 6L in my 10g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Just get 6L of AS and no PS.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Either way I would get the 6L

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM

I have the almost the same problem as kmg9000.

Will putting an inch of black sand on top of aquasoil be alright for a shrimp only tank? Will it still be able to lower down the pH? Buying another bag of aquasoil is pretty much out of the question for now.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
is it neccessary to cap the aquasoil with something at all or can it be used alone
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
give powersand a try, you might like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
It does not need to be capped and I think it's better not to cause it will all mix eventually making it look like crap.

I have powersand/aquasoil layered and so far there are zero complaints

FUNction over form

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
i have a 10 gallon and used powersand and aquasoil and i wish i didn't use the powersand. i was pulling plants and if the plant has a good root system it pulls a whole crap load of the powersand to the top. it took me 5 mins to pull plants and an hour to pick all the powersand that it brought to the top out. if you plan on changing things in your tank keep this in mind.

Eheim pimp #234

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
planted tank sickness

correct placement of powersand in the tank prior to the addition of aquasoil is imperative for optimal performance, and ease of maintenance.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanut415 View Post
correct placement of powersand in the tank prior to the addition of aquasoil is imperative for optimal performance, and ease of maintenance.
Could you expand on this comment a little? Im about to setup a tank with ps and as. What is the correct placement of ps? I was going to spread it out about an inch or 2 from the sides of the glass, and then layer about 2-3 inches of as on top. What am I missing?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:54 PM
planted tank sickness

well.. there are a few different ways to make it work. take your pick..

one, is to simply add powersand only to the back 1/3 of the tank area, and keep it mounded so that it rests against the back piece of glass. kinda like making a bead of silicone against the bottom piece of tank glass, and the back piece of glass. works well, but you will get powersand pulling up during replanting...

alternatively, you can evenly distribute the ps all over the bottom of the tank, and secure it with some stainless steel screen. then add aquasoil over that...

another would be to put the powersand in a sturdy thick filter sock, and place that under the aquasoil in an area you do not plan to plant so deeply.

or, put the powersand in the canister of a filter...

the list goes on... be creative, and yet, but thoughtful, and you might find yourself using powersand on all your tanks with aquasoil....possibly even fluorite?

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
man i wish i would have know about the ss screen over top of it a few months ago =] oh well live and learn thanks for the tips aqua

Eheim pimp #234

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 PM
planted tank sickness

no problem.

i strongly urge anyone using aquasoil for the first time to endulge, and try some powersand as well.

initially i didn't see a use for it. but, after having setup a few tanks with and without, and watching them for a while now, i will not be setting up any tanks without it any time in the near future.

(now, i'll just sit back and watch all the nay sayers do just that!) and still not care at all.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I'm making a tank with PS and ASA and I'm using plants like HC and Hairgrass,
what would be the best method of use with the Power Sand. I would hate if the
Power Sand mixed with the ASA, so keep that in mind.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You could use Profile or Turface instead, similar porosity but better CEC than PowerSand. Then add whatever additives you want (plant tabs, peat, etc.)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode