Soilmaster Select pH - rinsed vs unrinsed - added Fluorite test results - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soilmaster Select pH - rinsed vs unrinsed - added Fluorite test results

After looking through some of the other posts on the site and having curiousity get the best of me I've run a trial of rinsed vs unrinsed pH over time for Soilmaster Select Red.

The trial is as simple as it appears, the first unrinsed sample is approximately 1/2 cup of soilmaster select red in a cup of water (approx 200 ml). Nothing else was done to the sample. The rinsed sample was run under water, stirred, the water dumped and repeated until the water was absolutely clear. This took approximately 15 rinses.

My tapwater has a KH of 7, a GH of 11 and a pH of 8.2 straight out of the tap. Full parameters can be found here:

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/...y_bearspaw.pdf

pH was read with a recently purchased and calibrated Milwaukee pH controller. The sample were stirred prior to each measurement and covered between measurements to reduce evaporation. The covering of the samples began on day two and I think caused some of the irregularity in the pH curves.

Photos of the sample and cups I used:

http://lh3.google.com/image/colin.da...JPG?imgmax=640

http://lh4.google.com/image/colin.da...JPG?imgmax=640

The results:

The bottom line is that rinsing the substrate prior to use will save you somewhere from 0.2 to 0.4 points of pH decrease. Unfortunately I wasn't able to measure a final KH after forgetting to cover the samples after a measurement. The water evaporated and the answer remains a mystery!

If you've problems accessing the pics see:
Picasa Web Albums - Colin - Soilmaster

Last edited by original kuhli; 05-11-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very helpful to actually run a test. Thanks. Unfortunately I get an error message that I do not have permission to access the site for your links. I'd love to be able to view these.
Thanks again.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I had also noticed this my Soilmaster I have the charcoal and always rinse it. My gH is very high here but the kH is really low so it buffers really easy and the difference in pH between the tap and tank 7.5 tap and about 6.1 ish in the tank.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
I've read a lot of threads regarding the lowering of KH and pH by Soilmaster. I wonder if there is a difference between the red and the charcoal colors?

I confess I actually read this to find out which one lowers the pH more because that would appeal to me most. My water is already soft with a KH of 2 degrees. I've used Aquasoil Amazonia in a couple of tanks now and they always did best when the tank was new and the KH was 0 and the pH was in the 5's. So long as you don't have fish that need alkaline water I would assume that the lowered KH and pH initially would give a great boost to the plants.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me regarding running one's KH at 0 degrees and injecting CO2, but it can be done without crashes and the results are amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
The red did on mine, however the effects were short lived since I buffered it back.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Sweet! If it brings my Ph down that would be perfect. I run a very high 7 in my tank, and I want it lower!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Haha, how'd you manage to get a high 7 in Indianapolis?? Mine comes out of the tap around 8.5 (UGH). It was able to soften the liquid rock coming out of the tap (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-my-kh-ph.html)
but at the time I thought it was the snails! Now I know better...

Remember to keep up on your water changes or it'll bottom out like that ^^ tank did.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Oh, do not worry, it comes out in the 8 range, but after it ages a little it comes down a little... I'm about ready to go all Ro and just forget the crappy city water!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm about to use Soilmaster Select Charcoal for the first time next week to replace brown Flourite and was wondering - so what's the conclusion on the least messy least time and effort method for putting the Soilmaster in the tank - 1) no rinse, just place in bottom, cover with plastic and carefully fill
2) rinse the heck out of it and then place in tank (which would be very costly in terms of time and very messy from my experience with Flourite).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very late, but rinse it well!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you don't rinse, do you know how long it takes for the tank to become stabilized?

Mine has been in the tank for about 2.5 weeks now, well planted. (My plants are doing very well, but the "test" cherry didn't like it in there so I took him out.)
I need to bring my test kit from home this weekend to test my tank waters, but was wondering how long it takes for most other people.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Took me a couple of months in a 33 flatback hex. I just added enough baking soda at water change to bring PH up to high 6's for a whiel, and eventually it balanced itself out.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Just saw this. I'm surprised since my source water is 3dKH and I saw virtually no pH drop. I use charcoal, though, maybe red's different. I rinsed for about 30 min, mainly to let it lose air before going in. I don't notice any decrease in alkalinity before weekly WCs.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've just added Fluorite to my new tank and started to do a similar test on it. They both started out roughly neutral at 7.0 and there was no difference between the rinsed and unrinsed, neither changed over a few days so I quit the exercise.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode