Substrate colour - Dark Brown please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate colour - Dark Brown please!

I'm after a decent (it doesn't have to be the best) substrate for fairly hard water that has a GH of 11 and a KH of 7. I've been looking into things and the best I can find seems to be one of:

Fluorite brown
Flora-max
Eco-complete
Turface
AS Ammazonia

The goal is a good looking dark brown substrate that's reasonable for growing plants in. I've pressurized CO2 and a 216W tek light over a 48*18 inch 81 gallon custom tank(starfire I might add). Aquasoil is just plain too expensive at over $400 shipped. Can anyone suggest? I'm leaning towards a blend of fluorite and something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
The ammazonia is more of a black like a dark charcoal grey. THe Ada AS Africana looks more of a dark brown.

For something cheaper, you could go with regular inert gravel - kind of like sandblast gravel and add laterite for a little extra.

def

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Estes "Bit O Walnut" is a dark brown inert 2-4mm coated gravel you might like.

here it is in use in this densely planted tank.

$13 for 25lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM

soil master

hi i have just ordered a charcoal colored product from lesco.com they also have a brown colored subrstrate for 17 dollars for 50 pounds.go to lesco research the product go to products then put in seed/mulch/soil conditioner the clay and you will see the product its a pro soil master brand.anyways then do a store search type in your zip code and call the closest destributor to you and they will gladly order any product for you with no shipping charges
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've found what you're pointing me too, it seems to be simple clay to me, am I missing something?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Eco Complete is a blackish grey too.

Tina
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Florabase is also good stuff! Its rumored to be made in the same factory as ADA AS!

It's a tan color.

-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode